Why is it...

-
When Mopar guys are talking about camshafts, they seem to refer to lift. For example, "I have a .590 cam in my....".

In my past experience with Brand X, camshafts are referred to by their duration, either advertised or at .050. It seems duration is more relevant when discussing cams because it tells you how streetable the cam is, and if it'll require stall/headers/gear.

So were the old Purple cams advertised by their lift? I'm just curious as to where this started.

Probably cause there's is and especially way back, fewer performance parts for mopar so a lot ran purple cams, so your talking about handful of cams so everyone knew the specs, some reason people latched to the lift probably cause it's sounds like a bigger number and probably cause brand x guys didn't :)

Few fully understand the specs anyways for a lot could rated them by there lumpiness and would find that more useful lol

Mopars are at the end of the track before they hit 5800 rpm. :poke:

No one wants to see my lobes @ 50.

And @rumblefish360 nailed it again on the camshaft design pertaining to mushroom and roller lifters. The big deal now in the roller world is the largest roller wheel that will fit and inverse ground flanks to make for light switch valve opening rates. Stuff that takes colossal spring pressures and tapered pushrods that could be mistaken for Dick Landy’s cigars.

Sometimes the lift is an idea of how radical the cam is. How little duration could one have with a .550 hyd cam. For instance. But saying you have this duration or that duration... it could be stock lift, could be big lift... could be somewhere in between, either way... I think all examples of what people have said over the years are all equally as vague.

Just checked again, chevy seems to start from 0 or idle to 5500-6000 rpm range, and mopar all seem to start much higher 1600-2800 rpm range.
Like chevy builds power off idle and mopar seems to build power from 2800 rpm up.
I find that strange and confusing
Are you trying to get me to list available MoPar grinds that start below 800 rpm?
Oh yeah and you can wring out your shift points to 10,000 rpm:eek:
That’s a call out if I ever heard one!

Where is AJ now?????

And @rumblefish360 nailed it again on the camshaft design pertaining to mushroom and roller lifters. The big deal now in the roller world is the largest roller wheel that will fit and inverse ground flanks to make for light switch valve opening rates. Stuff that takes colossal spring pressures and tapered pushrods that could be mistaken for Dick Landy’s cigars.
Wow Man!

Only if you feel like it.:)
OK, knocked some of it out during a commercial break…
Comp Cams & Lunati Cams selections

988D27DC-73E4-44DC-AD1D-1E7BC836FD34.jpeg
34A48A1E-4B92-4FFB-BBBB-98A63961FC95.jpeg
1016D329-50F5-4250-B82C-E46B5064673D.jpeg
F51DEA47-7DD5-450A-B7AE-BDBC83622B16.jpeg
9E3E863E-B4D2-40C5-BDF5-0478729E0BF2.jpeg
AFA3AA82-AC61-4A0F-A50C-1C35974B82A6.jpeg
7CF15839-3907-4846-BA94-1D7E79B0527D.jpeg
317C4566-A656-43C0-B655-2E09B276A4D8.jpeg
D3DC5CEA-97E4-4C04-9D63-F0C141562A87.jpeg

Question with a stock stall say around 1500 rpm does it even matter much cam's powerband under stall speed, even with a normal take off at light your not spending any real time there ?

At the the time they came out the purple cams had very aggressive lobes and performed damn good compared to other companies offerings. So that's what most people used. So most knew what you had when you said 509, 484, or 590. Remember at the time most shelf cams were chevy grinds.

Sure does classify as one to me, lol! A reduced base circle and it looks like there are some heavily inverted flanks on the opening ramps. Kudos to those who are in the rare air and making it happen at this level!

Last edited:
A good while ago I was looking at cams and they, maybe Crane? was listing Chevy's all starting from 0 and the mopars were starting a lot higher up, or maybe I`m :realcrazy:
Thanks
Crane Cams has sadly passed away years ago.

Yeah, that`s what`s in my 340. 2800-5800. Little doggy off the line but ya get in that band look out.:)
Wondering, what converter and what headers as well what’s after the headers?

Wondering, what converter and what headers as well what’s after the headers?
4spd. Ya just got to rev it up. tti headers and their complete 2.5" system.
All this was 20 years ago. when I get a chance, I`m going to do a cam change, one lobe and it`s lifter was looking a little suspect. I`ve learned alot since then, thanks to Fabo members and reading.

Ahhhhhhh, 4spd… MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

(Homer Simpson drooling…..)

I'm still running a Crane S-264 in my 170cid slant six. Purchased in 1977. I've run it NA, turboed, and nitroused. Works very good on a streetable motor.
Nice! I have 1 Crane cam left on my shelf.
I think it’ll make for a great street bruiser.
236@050/.497 -108, I’ll give 1.6 rockers for a little enhancement.:rolleyes:

If you want to sound cool, ya have to know the lingo!

-
Back