Why Keith Black Pistons?

-

theothergarth

Reaction score
I have read several articles about 318 performance builds. While each article took slightly different approaches, these pistons seem to be an almost universal recomendation combined with decking the block or milling the heads. What is the reason for this? Are they slightly taller requireing less decking/milling, or are they just a good quality piston?

cause they are the only people who make an off the shelf high comp budget cast piston.

everything else is high dollar forged.

& if it works, use it.

Overall, they are an ok piston, and they are good value. Plus like 1Wild says, they are the only one that makes something with a decent compression height for the 318. You still have to mill the decks, but that's not KB's fault...lol. It's the always-taller-than-blueprint factory deck heights.

The only other way is the old way of doing things which I never thought as of cheap.

You would need an early 318 piston, because there slightly taller for the increased comp. ratio of the older engines, mill the deck a lot to get close to a zero deck height. If you were to use a high lift cam, then you would be cutting valve reliefs into the pistons. Not fun or cheap. But probably cheaper than a forged set and assoc. work with them.

The KB is a decent piston that can handle some RPM's, and reasonable high HP applications. The Hyper-U's are nice in many ways. However, KB isn't the best at pistons either. Sometimes, my machinist gets really pissed off at the site of KB Hyper slugs.

-
Back