Why no numbers?

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
Awhile back I picked up 360 engine from a junkyard. It was in a 75-76 Dodge pickup. After I got it apart, I looked for the engine numbers. I looked on the front of the block just below the head no numbers. I checked the block just above the pan, no numbers. The casting date is 6-30-75. Does this mean it was a replacement block? Can anyone explain.
Thanks,
Mike

I had a 69 273 block in my 65. It has assembly numbers stamped in front just below the head, but no VIN number on the oil pan rail. I think that's how warranty replacement blocks were done. It was up to the dealership to stamp the VIN and many dealerships blew it off. I don't know why your's would have neither.

EDIT: Just a guess here, but did they sell a replacement bare block? If so that probably would not have an assembly date, since it was not assembled at the factory.

In the 60's there was also a tag rivited to the front of the block behind the alternator on the passenger side. Mine did not have this tag, but I've read that they were sometimes removed during installation at the dealership.

the numbers your looking for is in the rear left side of the block where the starter sits and a 6-75 would be correct for a 76

Sounds like a warranty block to me. Casting numbers but no "stamped" numbers...

I had a 69 273 block in my 65. It has assembly numbers stamped in front just below the head, but no VIN number on the oil pan rail. I think that's how warranty replacement blocks were done. It was up to the dealership to stamp the VIN and many dealerships blew it off. I don't know why your's would have neither.

EDIT: Just a guess here, but did they sell a replacement bare block? If so that probably would not have an assembly date, since it was not assembly at the factory.

In the 60's there was also a tag rivited to the front of the block behind the alternator on the passenger side. Mine did not have this tag, but I've read that they were sometimes removed during installation at the dealership.
Thought vins on blocks started in 67 or 68.

Thought vins on blocks started in 67 or 68.

Right. My block is a 69. If it came from a wrecking yard it would have the VIN of the car it was originally installed in. Since it has no VIN, I assume it was a warranty replacement.

and why 76 anyway? I would much rather get a 1989 to 1991 LA block; or better yet 1992+ magnum; more power and roller blocks

-
Back