Why switch to manual steering ?

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
What are the advantages to switching from power to manual ? I noticed it comes up every once in a while here. Would'nt power be better (easier) for a 4-speed car ?

I think you will find that most change due to issues with headers and other exhaust problems clearing the steering box and related parts. That and many change over due to racing needs or lack of wanting/needing power steering.

I can understand all except "less crap to go wrong". My power steering and TTI's aren't a problem!

More room and A bodies steer just fine and brake just with manual.I don't like power steering or power brakes on an A body.
Jim

I can understand all except "less crap to go wrong". My power steering and TTI's aren't a problem!

No fluid to check, no belts to throw, no hoses to replace.

At the same time, you really have to abuse/neglect power steering stuff for it to go bad. The P.S. on my '65 Valiant worked well enough for it being 45 years old, I never did anything to it and it looked like the P.O.s never did either. It needed a lash adjustment but that was it.

Its simple really. Yes the whole wieght/parasitic drag thing is totally valid, especially considering its weight off the nose, but the REAL bottom line is, power steering, power brakes and hyd. cams(Boy, THAT"LL rattle a few!) belong on your sisters car. Or your mommas...

I just swapped mine in my early A-bodie 66 Dart(was my only option)to manual,mostly for clearance for headers on a 360.The early a,s are very narrow in the engine bay and this gives a little room to work with.Not much though!

-
Back