Why the gusher of steering fluid?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
My son Aaron and I finally got his "DARTSTER" on the road this weekend for its maiden voyage. While we were tying up a few loose ends with misc. items, we needed to install the plastic splash shields at the back of the front fenders. To gain access I had him turn the wheels sharply to one side. The Dart has power steering and I had just topped off the fluid level to the "cold" mark before we took the car for a spin. When he cut the wheels to one side, a gusher of power steering fluid dumped out the fill neck.

Is that typical for over-filling (and the dipstick mark means nothing), or is it a symptom of something more serious? I looked down inside the pump and the fluid level was down below the cast-iron-looking curved surface that's below the bottom of the fill neck. I topped it off again, not wanting to run it with low fluid.

Any ideas?
Jerry

It could have been over full.

or

In a new system, you need to turn the wheels full turn to get all the air out of the system. This often results in big air bubbles blowing out and making a mess. Happened on my friends Ram when we did his steering...blew PS fluid all over the engine..what a mess........

Hummmmm, did you also take note to a possible reading of one side of the stick and not the other side. I noticed that on side says cold and the other says hot with the fill marks.

Nope, both marks are on the same side, hot above the cold.
Now, it sounds like in my ignorance, it's simply a case of not bleeding the system of trapped air. Looks like a simple solution after all.

Thanks,
Jerry

-
Back