Why You Should Run An EFI Fuel Pump On A Carbureted EngineBy BRIAN WAGNER DECEMBER 01, 2022

-
It can have a benefit. If you don't drive your car everyday most fuels start to separate gas, ethanol and possible water. Just turn on the in-tank fuel pump for a few minutes to mix the fuel so the engine won't ingest straight water or ethanol.

Thanks for sharing, it was informative. Only one thing they failed to discuss and that would be an inertia safety switch and I will share a story as to why that is important.

Back around 1981 a guy who I was in tech school with helped his friend install an electric fuel pump. Friday came around and these two BFF's got in a fight and instead of hanging out together that night, they each went their own way...alcohol got involved and sometime around midnight there was a head on crash...They hit EACH OTHER head on! The friend of my classmate who owned the car with the electric fuel pump was trapped in his car as it was crunched pretty bad. By total coincidence, MY best friend was an EMT and arrived at the scene with the ambulance. Unfortunately, the ignition was on and fuel was being pumped (no inertia switch) and it ignited. Both my classmate and my best friend witnessed this poor guy burn to death. INSTALL an inertia switch please. I have purchased them for just a few bucks. The important thing is to understand what direction they need to be installed. They have a reset button and can be tested to determine the correct direction.

There are benefits to a pressure system including filling the bowls after evaporation but unless you are having issues, really not necessary.

-
Back