Why?

-
Its not a teepee chamber like the Gen 2, but its all the Hemi it needs to be. 832hp out of 430 CID is as Hemi as ever.

5.7 ain.t a hemi,,, Its a name...

True "Hemi" chamber? Maybe not. Better flame propagation and efficiency than the GenII? Totally! Part of the reason they don't need as much timing to get the job done. Had the GenII Hemi remained in production, technology would've eventually led the head design to where it is on the GenIII, and old schoolers wouldn't be squawking.

HELL YEH IT'S GOT A HEMI. And it is alot cheaper and less work than a 426 in my barracuda. and I can corner not just go straight.........to the gas station after turning it on. The chevy and ford folks don,t know its a name. After considering how much a 440 or 340 was gonna cost me for everything thats why I decided to do it.

Also check out this months Hot Rod magazine. The first and second place winners are both Gen III Hemis. There was one Gen II Hemi didn't even finish in the top ten.

I will always love the Gen II Hemi, as far as I'm concerned it is the greatest 60s era motor of all time. But as they say time moves on and with an efficient combustion chamber and two plugs per cylinder it is arguably the best two valve motor currently made.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

cuda620...apparently he has an issue with calling a GenIII A "Hemi"...
cuda620 must not have read my sig

The BS stops when the tree drops! Bring it!
A Modern Hemi is not a "real" Hemi Blah Blah Blah, then line your boat anchor up so you can say you got your *** whipped by a "Fake" Hemi!

5.7 Hemi is basically roller 318 with a 360 crank, sure its got variable displacement and now variable cam. EFI and OD can be installed on any LA/magnum so really not much of an advantage. It's really just a head package on a redesigned LA short block. The head flow is where these engines shine needing a lot less cam to build big power numbers. Really unfair to compare the power numbers of an LA/magnum engine compared to the hemi cause the cams run in the former are way under cammed even the 340 cam is barely a performance cam.
If you ran a similar cam that's in the hemi in the magnum you see less of a power advantage even with the less head flow, swap on a set of Eddy's and the advantage would even shrink further same with the weight advantage.

let's do some history. The first gen hemi was available way before the A or LA engine was ever produced. Distributor in the rear and it's the same dimentionally. I can take an LA crank and put it into an early hemi. Put a SB Trans behind it. The A engine was parts carry over from the 1st gen hemi as was the LA and Magnum engines and now the modern 3G hemi. Granted, the A,LA,and magnum engine heads are completely different and only reside in their own catagory. The 2G Hemi is nothing more than a big block with hemi heads on it. The only thing the modern hemi lacks is a true hemi combustion chamber which would never pass current emissions standards.

5.7 Hemi is basically roller 318 with a 360 crank, sure its got variable displacement and now variable cam. EFI and OD can be installed on any LA/magnum so really not much of an advantage. It's really just a head package on a redesigned LA short block. The head flow is where these engines shine needing a lot less cam to build big power numbers. Really unfair to compare the power numbers of an LA/magnum engine compared to the hemi cause the cams run in the former are way under cammed even the 340 cam is barely a performance cam.
If you ran a similar cam that's in the hemi in the magnum you see less of a power advantage even with the less head flow, swap on a set of Eddy's and the advantage would even shrink further same with the weight advantage.

The block is not a redesigned LA shortblock !! it's completely different .
Deep skirted block , cross bolted mains , crank driven oil pump , raised cam , enclosed valley , onepiece rear main seal , they are much nicer to work on than the old stuff . most of the gaskets are re-usable . Hands up .. Who likes scraping old Gaskets Off ! .

Deep skirted block , cross bolted mains , crank driven oil pump , raised cam , enclosed valley , onepiece rear main seal , they are much nicer to work on than the old stuff . most of the gaskets are re-usable . Hands up .. Who likes scraping old Gaskets Off ! .

The basic rotating assembly is very similar to LA/Magnum engine, bore spacing, bore size (318 ), rod lenght, stroke (360) yes it's a clean sheet build and nothing interchangeable but at the core it's just a 318 with a 360 crank and hemi (ish) heads.

If I may, I would interject a couple of facts that seem to be overlooked with regard to this subject. The real relevance of the "Hemi head" design is not whether or not it is a perfect hemispherical shape. In point of fact, neither the Gen 1 nor Gen 2 combustion chambers were perfect hemispheres. What is important with all hemispherical type heads (of any make) is that it allows the designers to place the intake/exhaust centerline at 90 degrees to the crankshaft centerline instead of parallel to it. That is a feature that is unique to "Hemi" type heads. That places the intake valve directly on plane with the intake runner and of course, the exhaust valve on plane with the exhaust port. This valve placement is why all hemis have two rocker shafts per head. The real benefit of this, is that it reduces the amount of transition in both incoming and out going air mass. In other words, the radius of the port at the bowl is drastically less. I have a 6.1 Hemi, and those heads, CNC ported produce an intake flow at .600 lift of well over 360 CFM, while the exhaust is over 250. It is impossible to achieve those numbers in a conventional head with a "wedge" type chamber without radical port welding and port extensions on the exhaust side. I ran 340s for years, and those engines with professionally ported W2 heads didn't flow any where near those numbers. That is why these Gen 3 engines respond to headers and cams the way they do. So whether you want to argue that the modified chamber isn't hemispherical or not, just think of them as a TWIN ROCKER SHAFT engine. I don't think that would have the same marketing appeal to the public though. HEY HAS THAT THING GOT A TWIN ROCKER SHAFT ENGINE IN IT?" No, Chrysler has always done well with the Hemi marketing, and my experience with having owned a Gen 2, and now a Gen 3 has been very favorable. Gen 2 Hemis back in the day had a kind of bad reputation for engine failures, but it was largely because they reved like a small block, and were still pulling hard even when your brain was telling you to shift !!! LOL. No matter what else, the truth is like Ronnie Sox said one time in his South Carolina drawl, " Ya know, there's really only two kinds of people in this world; those who have a hemi, and those who want one". I think there's at least some truth there.

:sign3:

Correct - the important aspects ( excluding rod/stroke ratio) are completely different

Yep....about as close to an LA as an LS is.......

-
Back