Why????

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Why are some people so damn stubborn? I was out to Jacksonville North Carolina for a couple of jobs yesterday and on my way home I spied a pair of Mopars on the side of the road. I noticed that there was a 72 Dart 2 dr and a 72 Duster just sitting there rusting away. So I pulled over to take a look see and discovered that these cars were both in really poor condition without motors or transmissions and just basicially rusting away, sinking back into the Earth. So I pulled up the hood on the Duster and looked down into the empty engine bay and there was the part I need for my steering box!!!! I figured "OK, I'll knock at the door and offer a $20 spot for the piece I need and pull it off and be on my way". So I knock at the door of this old run down house and after about 3 minutes this old lady comes to the door and asks me "Can I help You?" I explain to her the story of needing a part off the old car and ask her if interested, could I buy the part off the old car and pay her price? She replied to me. " I'm Sorry, but if you knew how many people come knocking on my door looking for parts off these cars, and my husband will not sell not one part off any of these cars" I asked her if she wanted to sell the whole car? NO!!!!!! Oh well :angry7: No parts to be had. I just do not understand it. These two cars are just wasting away, and she does not want to sell off any parts. Oh yeah caught a glimpse out back, Lots of other old cars behind the trees. Looks like lots of Mopars and Chebbies. Go figure??????? Next time by there I'll take my camera and get some pictures. I tried to shoot some from my cell phone but it was too dark.

Was that on us 17. I remeber a place like that when i was heading to the beach.

I know the feeling about not selling parts. There's a duster 3 streets up from be been sitting for years.

Her Husband sounds like an assclown, so does she.

Maybe they are hoarders.

I say do a stealth removal one night and leave the $20 in their mailbox.

A bunch of people think their crap is retirement money. Some think they can find a better deal (on a early 70 mopar? right). Some just think they can beat you down on price. I usually pay asking price. When I sell old Mopar stuff, I will back down, as I understand the hobby, and wan't the parts to be used.
I have 2 old, ' 80 models pinball machines in my shop, worth 800+ each. I put them on craigs, and getting all this bs of 250 (want 300). Tell them all; I will take a chainsaw to them, and haul them to the dump, before you lowball me that bad, and re-sell. People ain't right. Especially on old stuff. A member in here, can't remember the name, sold me a sb timing cover for next to nothing( lost one in a move), I was so happy. Thanks again, stranger, I had a computer die, and lost the info.
Some people will let a car rot, thinking "antique", not realizing that it is steady rusting to hell.

I actually had the thought of a "Midnight Auto" part grab enter my mind but I cannot bring myself to just take the part off without getting approvals first. The worst thing about this is that I would gladly pay her for the part and remove it myself, I really need this part for my car and now this old car sits rusting away, and my car sits under my carport, needing this part and I do not know where to get it. Who knows.....:sign10:

It's called "stupidity" on the owner part, as it all will eventicially get hauled to scrap. I would use the term moron; but they don't know what we know, etc.

I need the small bolt on piece that holds the power steering return (low pressure) line. This bolts to the front of the steering box with 2 7/16th's bolts. and has two different "O" style rings that fit into this fitting. I am not sure if this also requires any type of gasketing. The one on my box is leaking like crazy and even with trying several new "O" type seals, it just keeps leaking. It does not have any type of paper gasketing and I am not sure if it needs any, but I cannot get this part aftermarket and am getting very frustrated with the whole scene.It is not leaking at the hose or hose clamp but is leaking from the bottom of this fitting and i cannot see up there to see where/why it is leaking. Visual inspection of this fitting on my box does not show any signs of cracks etc....

WOW FABO IS THE GREATEST !!!!! Averageerod has a box available. I will contact him to arrange a sale for it. Thanks everybody for ALL of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole world is insane. My bud, with the 69 Charger- his brother stored it under a plastic tarp for ten years... never do that. We have it on jacks, in a huge shop that has everything.He cut some of that rusted crap off, then got scared. He has everything there, all AMD.
Economy down, body guys on craigs. 1'st guy" oh yeah, $8000 to start and another (fill in the blank), and you can get $170,000. 383 two barrel, 276 open gear. Yeah, get the f out of here. Other body guys, need work; won't even show up.
WTF?

I know the exact cars your talking about. I bought the rear seat out of the duster back in april. They didn't give me any hassle. but I talked to the grandpa. When I went back for more parts and grandma opened the door and told me to come back later.

It's the "I've got something they want" mentality. Take the cars away and they lose that inferiority they once had. Even though actually the cars are junk.

It's the "I've got something they want" mentality. Take the cars away and they lose that inferiority they once had. Even though actually the cars are junk.

Exactly! I've seen it too many times, and it is frustrating. I really believe some of these people have no intention of ever doing a damn thing with the car, they just like the fact they have something somebody wants... pathetic:angry7:

"Midnight Auto Supply" is an easy way to get yourself shot!
I'm glad you went with the sane option.
Talk to the old man, sounds like he'll deal.

I see where your coming from I was on my way home one day and I saw this house with 12 cars in front.... sad part there was alot of mopars. INCLUDING a superbird, the long nose and tall wing =P~. I about caused a wreck cause I hit the brakes with out thinking. So I turned around went back and asked the guy if I could look at the cars, He was a older man but he took me around :cheers: and showd me each car if the front........and the barn and when we got done he asked "Wanna see the rest?" I about s#!t myself. So finally when we were done I saw this 73' challenger I liked and I offered him $1200 cash and Id haul it away. It wasnt in the best condition and didnt run but had a 340 in it but he said no, I went up as high as I could $2500 but he still wouldnt sell :angry7:

I always tell people to give me an idea of what they are asking and explain as a buyer we will try to pay the least, nothing personal, but that I don't want to offend them.
Then I tll them that if their price is somewhat reasonable that I would make payments even... say I couldnt afford it outright.

I think I know the place your talking about, I used to live on Nine Mile Road right off 258 back in 2001 and there were a ton of people like that in that area. "No it's not for sale and no I won't part it!"

There is a 70 Duster 340 car all numbers matching that I look at 15 years ago almost rust free,guy was not sure if he wanted to sell it.Well guess what I drive buy his house 3 times a week and it sets in a field frame almost on the ground.I was so pissed one day I went to his door and called him a pecker head even call him out lets fight for the car,2 hours later cops at my door lucky he was a mopar fan,still gave me a warning not to go on his piece of **** property.This car was sweet light blue, 340,white int,stripe down the side,8 3/4 rear with 355 gear.

I think a few years ago when Hemi 'cuda converts started getting 6 figures at auction, it was great for mopar to get the respect they deserve, but now everyone with a rusted 4-door valient (no ofense) thinks they are sitting on a gold mine!

-
Back