Wich axel is the best for me?

-

VeniceBeach

Reaction score
Hy i own a 72`Dodge Dart 318 with a 7 1/4 rear axel.

I am about to do an Engine swap to something about 408 Cui Magnum.

Wich axel should i build in the car. My goal for the axel are:

1. it should stand the power of the motor 400-500 hp
2. should be as light as possible
3. should be an affordable price.
4. Dont hafe to be original part, can be aftermarket to...

Wich axel? where to buy it?

thanks for your advises!

I would do the ford 8.8 swap mostly because of your location. It would be much easier to find a ford rear. Do a search on this site for the swap info. easy to do! The rears cam in the Ford Explorer's. I would guess they would have them in Europe.

Thanks for the advise with the Ford 8.8 but a stock one will not fit as i saw in the Sticky thread?

So i would have do customize it?

Is there no crate axel or something like this, what i just can buy and it will fit without customisation

An 8 3/4 would be your best bet.These can be bought as a complete unit from Strange or Moser or you can search parts here and peice one together.Good luck.

You could call Currie, Strange or even a local place and see which pricing with shipping is best for you.

If you have a local shop see what they could do, you could use any of these 8.25, 8.75, 9.25 or Dana 44, 60 and 12 blt, 8.8, 9"

The big difference is that one is fabricated and the other is stock looking. If your building a car to be stock and show like then the factory looking one is what you want. if you don't care what it looks like then I personally like the fabricated housing. its built a little more stout than the original housing.

as far as what type of axle you want, IMO I think you'll be happy with a 8.75" Mopar axle. Its strong enough to handle your power range and lighter than most other axles. Plus the 8.75 was meant to be in a mopar so its easier to have it adapted to your application.

Yeah, the boys that have the big bucks, tricked out cars, not to mention the tight-white concourse restoration complex have an 8 3/4. Plus they are hard to find.

Back to real life, a Ford 8.8 out of an a 96-00 Explorer gets my vote, throw a rock at a junkyard here in the states and there will be 6 explorers there, 2 or 3 with LSD units. It may be a little tougher since your in Switzerland. There is a sticky at the top of the main trans/drive-train page.

They come with disk brakes, 3.73 or 4.10 LSD from the word go, weighs 175LB in full dress, not to mention take 500HP to the face stock, laughing at you. They are way more economical to get under your ride, in fact half the price of a 8 3/4 unit, chopped down and checked/adjusted for straightness. Did I mention they run the big bolt, 4.5 on 5 bolt pattern? :D

The rub is its a Ford part, which I find is hilarious, because nothing is brand specific once you go through it, it becomes "VeniceBeach's 8.8 or 8.75".

Another known fact is Chrysler doesn't give a flying turd about aftermarket parts, or the people that bought them once the warranty runs out. Their motto is "sworn to fun, loyal to none."

I wouldn't loose any sleep over brand loyalty.

Just some food for thought.

Yeah, the boys that have the big bucks, tricked out cars, not to mention the tight-white concourse restoration complex have an 8 3/4. Plus they are hard to find.

Back to real life, a Ford 8.8 out of an a 96-00 Explorer gets my vote, throw a rock at a junkyard here in the states and there will be 6 explorers there, 2 or 3 with LSD units. It may be a little tougher since your in Switzerland. There is a sticky at the top of the main trans/drive-train page.

They come with disk brakes, 3.73 or 4.10 LSD from the word go, weighs 175LB in full dress, not to mention take 500HP to the face stock, laughing at you. They are way more economical to get under your ride, in fact half the price of a 8 3/4 unit, chopped down and checked/adjusted for straightness. Did I mention they run the big bolt, 4.5 on 5 bolt pattern? :D

The rub is its a Ford part, which I find is hilarious, because nothing is brand specific once you go through it, it becomes "VeniceBeach's 8.8 or 8.75".

Another known fact is Chrysler doesn't give a flying turd about aftermarket parts, or the people that bought them once the warranty runs out. Their motto is "sworn to fun, loyal to none."

I wouldn't loose any sleep over brand loyalty.

Just some food for thought.

500 hp to the face laughing huh? My painter has a fox body that has gone through 4 different rears. His 302 is pushing 420hp and 380 ft lbs. of torque. his last 2 victims were out of exploders. all of which also had been gone through fully. He has since said screw the 8.8's and installed a 9"

I will admit though he his rough on his mustang. drags it every other weekend. He's also had to ditch the T-5 and go with a tremec because of lunching 2 of those.

Trick question. If you dont do suspension upgrades and run fat sticky tires an 8.25 will work or the 8.8, Put some bite down and fat sticky tires and youll need the 8.75 or a 9 inch.Four link it with slicks and the Dana 60 may be the ticket. Theres a lot more to it than motor size.

the moser stamped 8 3/4 is a ferd 9" housing that they just adjusted the pinion offset in to fit the mopar 3rd members. from the back they look just like a 9". if you are going to go with a aftermarket housing then i would step to a strange or moser dana 60 and never worry about it again. i went with the moser fab'd housing because i already had axels and spent alot on the 3rd member.

-
Back