Wideband and air/fuel ratio difference

-
The Wide Band O2 sensors read from about 10:1 to 20:1 air fule ratios. The less expensive one only reads from about 14-16.

Basically the wide band will tell the actual air/fuel ratio and the less expensive ones only tell you if you are on the lean or rich side of 14.7.

and 14.7 is the right ratio that I should have when tuning my carb? (pardon me if it seem to be a stupid question but I am learning right now :read2:)

I have a deal on the cheaper one and I am planning to use Nitrous on the dragstrip next summer. I was just wondering if the air/fuel one will be helpful for me.

I'll have to agree with that one for sure! Go with the wide band unit so it covers more. Even more so with the laffin gas. The narrow one are ok if you can call yourself a better than decent carb tuner.

and 14.7 is the right ratio that I should have when tuning my carb? (pardon me if it seem to be a stupid question but I am learning right now :read2:)

I have a deal on the cheaper one and I am planning to use Nitrous on the dragstrip next summer. I was just wondering if the air/fuel one will be helpful for me.

For a naturally aspirated car, most engines like to cruise at around 14.7:1, but run better at somewhere between 12.8:1 and 13.0:1 at full throttle. Nitrous motors should be even richer when you hit the button for safety (and because there's a good chance one or two cylinders are a little leaner than the rest). With a narrow band gauge, fully pegged can be anywhere from richer than you need to be, to richer than 14.7:1 but still lean enough to melt a piston.

For a naturally aspirated car, most engines like to cruise at around 14.7:1, but run better at somewhere between 12.8:1 and 13.0:1 at full throttle. Nitrous motors should be even richer when you hit the button for safety (and because there's a good chance one or two cylinders are a little leaner than the rest). With a narrow band gauge, fully pegged can be anywhere from richer than you need to be, to richer than 14.7:1 but still lean enough to melt a piston.

^This and I'll add 14.7:1 is when you will get your best emissions. Has nothing to do with power or fuel economy. I'd have to review some past work, but I think without a catalytic converter, 14.7 afr is pointless target for emissions, you can go leaner and get better economy but you'll create a lot more NOx (nitrogen Oxide) and thats not good.

I'll have to agree with that one for sure! Go with the wide band unit so it covers more. Even more so with the laffin gas. The narrow one are ok if you can call yourself a better than decent carb tuner.
I am not a good carb tuner... I will go with the wideband :)

Any suggestions for a good one?

-
Back