Widow maker..who runs one?

-

Outsider

Reaction score
Anyone out there using the original single reservior master cylinder? I've got factory disc brakes in my '66, and I've decided NOT to go with the dual reservior master cylinder partcompany piece. I just like the look of the single, and the hi-hat is yet another Hemi piece the 273 HiPo shares. It just looks too good to shelve. I am getting rid of the (BBP) redrilled Kelsey-Hayes rotors, and going with '73 Duster discs, but I have to keep the original master, it is just too cool.

They don't call it a "widowmaker" for nothing.

There's a point at which common sense has to overrule aesthetic sensibilities...

This is such a point.

I'd re-think this one, unless your car is going into a museum.

Does the term "natural selection" mean anything to you???

You can look it up...:read2:

Going to do the same on my faux Thunderbolt Fairlane. If you're going to do a period correct car...super stock, gasser, etc. you have to keep the old timey parts. Bias-ply tires, magnesium wheels, single pot master cylinder, etc.

They don't call it a "widowmaker" for nothing.

There's a point at which common sense has to overrule aesthetic sensibilities...

This is such a point.

I'd re-think this one, unless your car is going into a museum.

Does the term "natural selection" mean anything to you???

You can look it up...:read2:

I appreciate the candor Bill. Hahaha. A man after my own heart. Nonetheless, I used to own the "Old Dominion" B/FX '65 GTO, 421 H.O. '63 Superduty heads, Tri-power, Fully boxed frame, 4-speed, 4.33 rear. The fastest thing I have ever piloted, and it had the stock widowmaker with front drums in that. I drove it on the street, at the track, everywhere, and I never experienced a glitch. I even street raced the thing.
The only thing I can think of is if a brake line got clipped...but in 30 years of hammering on these cars, I've never heard of it happening once.
Bring on the horror stories guys! :toothy10:

Going to do the same on my faux Thunderbolt Fairlane. If you're going to do a period correct car...super stock, gasser, etc. you have to keep the old timey parts. Bias-ply tires, magnesium wheels, single pot master cylinder, etc.
Exactly! this was a real race car. I just love the thing, and while it may remove me from the gene pool, It's too late...I've got a son. :cheers:

I think you're going to end up with pedal feel issues. IIRC, there is more piston area on the 73+ brakes than the early K-H 4-pots.

100_0807.jpg

That's the proper master cylinder for this application. The chamber closest to the firewall is for the front brakes....it likely holds more fluid than your entire master cylinder.

If you've ever had a line blow out on you, you'd really appreciate the brake pressure you still have left with the dual chamber.

and if you insist, make sure that parking brake mechanism works perfectly!

Make a will. Leave the car to your young (fatherless) son with the stipulation that he install a dual reservoir before driving it.

60 Chevy, long hill down to Water st, one of the main sts in town. I hit the brakes and felt a wet feeling on my ankles. I lost the master cyl...I got on the emergency brake and stopped nose first into the intersection, right in front of all the guys at the ESSO station!! **** HAPPENS!!

I think you're going to end up with pedal feel issues. IIRC, there is more piston area on the 73+ brakes than the early K-H 4-pots.

100_0807.jpg

That's the proper master cylinder for this application. The chamber closest to the firewall is for the front brakes....it likely holds more fluid than your entire master cylinder.

If you've ever had a line blow out on you, you'd really appreciate the brake pressure you still have left with the dual chamber.

and if you insist, make sure that parking brake mechanism works perfectly!

The '66 Disc master cylinder came from the factory with an extension that is about 2 inches tall. It sits on top of the standard master cylinder adding twice the fluid capacity. The cap bolts on top of this. The master cylinder with this extension actually holds as much fluid as the dual res. master in my 71 Demon. No shortage of fluid, and plenty to activate the '73 discs.
Now a blown line would not be good, but I've never known it to happen to anyone. The parking brake will be as new.

60 Chevy, long hill down to Water st, one of the main sts in town. I hit the brakes and felt a wet feeling on my ankles. I lost the master cyl...I got on the emergency brake and stopped nose first into the intersection, right in front of all the guys at the ESSO station!! **** HAPPENS!!
OK, that's bad...but not THAT bad. Still, that would have taken out a dual resevoir master cylinder as well. I know stuff happens, I snapped a clutch pedal at speed once.

I experienced a failure, blew front hose, was signaling to turn right, and crused right by turn. Good thing the car that was at the intersection, did`nt pull out, it would have been a wham!!Take your chances, It`s like drinking and driving, you may get away with it for 30 years, but eventually it will catch up with you. good luck;)

Can you keep the single pot master cylinder, then add a second under the frame rail like the rod guys use? You could make it look completely real, but have your brake pedal connected to your second hidden master cylinder...

Now you have the best of both worlds... ;-)

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule!

:stop:I gues in my 40 some years of driveing junk and good stuff I have experienced about every kink of barake failure you could think inc hard parts comming apart inside the drum. Quite a feeling tring to scrub speed off on the curb without jumping it till you are slow enough to bother with the emergency brake as it was called expecally when it was on the driveshaft.
I replaced everyting hyd on my 65 Dart and then went to a DM with no valving down below just a T. I only have drums. I feel better now when I hit the small pedal it will work.
You could sork on somthing like I am doing with my Henry-J. I am useing one of my old 64 masters on the firewall but am putting a duel unit under the dash and may pipe the outside cyl as a resevor for the duel system. Lost of stuff out there with the Rod guys to hook up a hiden set-up.
GEORGE!!
:bootysha:
Yea, I know this in theory, but I've never had anything leak but a wheel cylinder which is a gradual thing that is very noticable.

First pic is the '66 disc brake master with extension...How cool is that?
Second pic is the stock master from my core box...

master copy.jpg

masterII.jpg

-
Back