Wife got a *new* car; you guys won't like it!

-

Judge Mills

1971 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
We were planning on buying a Chrysler 300 next November, however she saw this on the lot, and we left 45 minutes later with it :eek:ops: It is not a Chrysler, but I tell you guys, it is VERY nice. It's also not as expensive as it looks! It helps to buy used :D

I joined a message board for Audi's, to see what common problems are and to see what kind of maintenance I can do myself without going to an expensive dealership. WOW, the quality of posts and users is low! A LOT of threads are along the lines of this *I have never changed oil before, is it hard?* Looks like I'll have to dig deep to find the guys with posts that have actual knowledge!

In other news, I have some upper control arm bushings on the way, and hopefully I will get this Duster rolling again!

Attachments

• audi.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 832
Hey its not a chevy. I feel the up keep is high on them. They like to be drove somewhat hard not pampered. Thats what the experts here told me.

Turbo or non-Turbo; aka 2.0 or V-6? A buddy of mine has a shop here in Bellevue, so I've seen a lot of these things roll in. Just don't keep it when the warranty expires, very maintenance heavy and pricey.
That's not to be a douche, it it just the nature of European cars.

I have not had ANYTHING other than Mopar's for over 17+ years! Knowing me I won't have it that long anyway...hopefully a stepping stone to an SRT-8 someday! It is a nice car though...for rice anyway! LOL

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD

Attachments

• acura tl sh-awd (2).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 744
Don"t feel bad here's my wifes latest. Had all the major three in the past 10 years and all had their own issues but none of them have a 10 year 160 000 km. warranty like the Mitsubishi. We'll see how this plays out I;m sure.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 693
Been to maine a few times on vacation.Thats all they drive up there.Audi,Volvos and Subarus.Love there suvs,Kevin.

Fun to drive and the seats are very comfortable aren't they? From what I understand, they don't really want owners doing their own maintenance...if it's an auto I am interested to know if it has a dipstick. My friend discovered on his the only way to check the trans fluid is to take it to the dealer.

That Car is Beautiful. Of course I'm definitely Biased. Get yourself a Pela Oil change system & It's simple on the German Cars.
PICT0003.jpg
PICT0004.jpg

Turbo or non-Turbo; aka 2.0 or V-6? A buddy of mine has a shop here in Bellevue, so I've seen a lot of these things roll in. Just don't keep it when the warranty expires, very maintenance heavy and pricey.
It's all just nuts & Bolts. In Fact German cars are easier to work on IMO. Once you learn the little tricks like the sweet way wire connectors work and the common sense design.

Friend had one like this. It lived at the shop most of its life. They replaced the motor under warranty. A few months later he got rid of it. $$ gouged him to the max in all kinds of repairs.

It's all just nuts & Bolts. In Fact German cars are easier to work on IMO. Once you learn the little tricks like the sweet way wire connectors work and the common sense design.

More like push fit plastic connectors that break when you take them off, or one-time use torque limited bolts, or non serviceable units that cost $1200 when all that is wrong is an open DC motor coil, or $80 valve cover gaskets or ABS that goes out with no warning or symptom, or how about the air bag that needs to be serviced at a pre-set interval, no way around it? $300 O2 sensors (4 of them on a V6) $500 catalytic convertors...Perhaps its the $280 a pop 20,000 mile soft OEM tires? Oh, my mistake...thats with ALL new cars! (been there once, not again) Enjoy it, just dump it before it starts showing its age. Seems new cars are really made for closed end leases as they dont last more than their designed EOL cycle. Me, bitter? You bet. A little jealous...perhaps! :) Im still driving a 96 Breeze with a serious case of paint cancer......but its paid for. Waiting for the day it takes a dump...been waiting for 6 years now....

My daughter and her husband bought a Lexus a couple months ago. She must've told me ten times that it has rear seat back massagers (like she spends any time back there being married -- harumph!) and it makes her feel like a princess when she's driving it.

Good thing too. She'll need a princess' crown jewels to fix it when something breaks. :-D

I hung on to the 92 Olds for 19 years, guess I should had snap some pictures of it before it went to Mothers Waddles In Detroit for donation credit

got an 08 Saturn with a 3.5 engine to replace it, it gets me around but the 92 3.3 had better throttle response. This drive by wire is the pits, I swear its not open all the way every time I floor it.

Hate to hit anything with it so I try to be extra careful-it likely on par accident wise with the 92.

Volvo seems the safest newer cars around but was much more expensive then that Saturn

Bring back the Gran Fury's, lol

Newer cars seems like such a waste of cash, least these old cars hold their value

$30 -$40,000 for a car :banghead:

This $14,000 ride better last me least 10 years, I got other things I rather buy and do.

I work at a friends shop and though I mainley work on trucks, especially 6.0 Ford Diesels. My buddy works on alot of european cars. Yes the Volvo's are very expensive to work on and maintain. Same as the Pasat and jetta.

My buddy owned an A4 2.0T 6-speed for a few years that his parents had given him for making third trumpet chair in Honor Band of America... Needless to say he eventually gave it back to his parents to sell because trouble just seemed to follow that car everywhere. They are sweet cars and very advanced but not much feedback from the controls if you know what I mean, and yes very expensive to maintain. They are king in the snow too...

Back in January, my wife and I had an 02 Passat GLX V6 (basically the same car as yours, just a little older) drop into our laps, and we couldn't pass it up. Private sale, guy was asking $3K less than retail. We were a little concerned about why he was asking so little, but so far it has been a decent car. We've put two new tires on it (okay, JUNKYARD new, but they still had 90% tread on them), rear brakes, and usual maintenance. The thing that concerns me is that they have a set interval to change the timing belt. For a 1.8T opinions vary between 60K miles all the way up to 100k miles, but I think the latter is pushing it. For the 2.8 V6, figure somewhere between 85k and 90k miles. Since these are interference engines, if you blow your timing belt you are going to either bend or break a rod and screw up your head. Right now, we're actually pushing our luck because we have 93k miles on ours but don't have the $800 our mechanic wants to do the job.

Also, not sure about yours because I don't know what engine is in yours, but with ours you have to dismantle the entire front of the engine just to replace the thermostat. You can't do it without pulling the water pump and opening the timing cover. Figure when we have the timing belt done on our car we'll have the water pump and thermostat changed out as well.

They are nice cars, and will last a long time if you take care of them. Taking care of them, like George Harrison said, "It's gonna take money! A whole lotta spending money! It's gonna take plenty of money! To do it right child!" Good luck!

Our shop just completed a job on 1.8 Passat these are 5 valve 4 cylinders. Had a blown head gasket we thought. Shop failed to fine #2 cylinder had several cracks so we wound up doing it again. Your right the whole front has to come off the car to work on it. You;d better spend the 800.00 now while you know the cost. If it jumps time it will cost you a whole lot more. I'm sure your is and interference motor and you'l bend some valves. We also just did an A/C job on a 08 V6 Jetta. Same thing had to take the front of to get to the Comp. and dryer.

Back in January, my wife and I had an 02 Passat GLX V6 (basically the same car as yours, just a little older) drop into our laps, and we couldn't pass it up. Private sale, guy was asking $3K less than retail. We were a little concerned about why he was asking so little, but so far it has been a decent car. We've put two new tires on it (okay, JUNKYARD new, but they still had 90% tread on them), rear brakes, and usual maintenance. The thing that concerns me is that they have a set interval to change the timing belt. For a 1.8T opinions vary between 60K miles all the way up to 100k miles, but I think the latter is pushing it. For the 2.8 V6, figure somewhere between 85k and 90k miles. Since these are interference engines, if you blow your timing belt you are going to either bend or break a rod and screw up your head. Right now, we're actually pushing our luck because we have 93k miles on ours but don't have the $800 our mechanic wants to do the job.

Also, not sure about yours because I don't know what engine is in yours, but with ours you have to dismantle the entire front of the engine just to replace the thermostat. You can't do it without pulling the water pump and opening the timing cover. Figure when we have the timing belt done on our car we'll have the water pump and thermostat changed out as well.

They are nice cars, and will last a long time if you take care of them. Taking care of them, like George Harrison said, "It's gonna take money! A whole lotta spending money! It's gonna take plenty of money! To do it right child!" Good luck!

That's a nice looking car. A few years ago, my cousin owned a late 90's Audi.
I hope you don't have the trouble he did. He ended up needing more tows and borrowed from his father's AAA plan becuase he had that car towed so much. His car looked beautiful, leather interior, the controls and layout were terrific, but the car was a pos.

Can I borrow a 20. You look like you got plenty money now.lol Seriously I drove a saab turbo rental car last week and almost fell in love. When the turbo kicked in it hauled butt. And the 5 speed auto stick was awesome once I figured out the power band. The car was downright fun.I,m wondering why I,m sinking money in antiques. Truth is though I like to burp and fart and need a car that matches my uncivilized side.Thats my mopars.

Other than not being able to do your own maint., what's not to like?

Enjoy it! They handle & drive nice & are comfortable. They are however very expensive to repair & maintain. About 2-3X what a similarly equipped Japanese or domestic car would cost. If you can get an extended warranty buy it! Audi, by design, requires several special tools to complete basic repairs. They do this to force work back to the dealerships.

-
Back