Wife wants to use ebay to sell stuff, how does PayPal work

-

WildCat

Reaction score
I have had an ebay account for a long time but haven't used it in years

When they made some changes I decided I didn't want to update the info they wanted. Now that she is wanting to sell some of her collectibles and some of mine need to go have thought about getting it updated

So can anyone tell me how pay pal works since that seems to be the way everyone likes to pay.

I would start a completely separate checking account, and get a credit card linked to that account, and use them for only that purpose.

Pay pal is a sort of go between, between your bank account, and the person buying from you. Or the other way around. When you open a pay pal account, you will need to link a bank account and a credit card. When you sell something, and they use pay pal to pay for it, they put money into pay pal, from there linked bank account, and pay pal forwards the funds to your pay pal account, after which the funds can be transferred to your linked account. Pay pal guarantees the transaction, if for example you want to but a gold plated ball bearing, pay thru pay pal, and get a piece of wood, pay pal will investigate and you will get your money refunded. It goes both ways but is skewed towards the buyer. I have had several hundred transactions using pay pal with NO problems. Like said, you might want to open a separate bank account, I don't and have had no problems at all. Any questions you can call me. you have my number.

I would start a completely separate checking account, and get a credit card linked to that account, and use them for only that purpose.

Good advice, especially good at tax time.
I use Paypal all the time and have for years, with zero problems buying or selling either one.

Figure 20 percent gone to ebay and paypal in fees plus shipping....I usually try to sell local if at all possible. Some sellers jack up the shipping to offset the fees.

PayPal works very, but - you may have trouble withdrawing more than something like $500/month. Ran into that a LONG time ago when we tried to simplify the registration process for a youth event by taking credit cards - I think it took us months to get all of the money for that event pulled out.

Visa is apparently looking at moving into this space (but don't wait for them to figure it out - just jump in when they move to kill off PayPal :))

PayPal works very, but - you may have trouble withdrawing more than something like $500/month.

That must have been when dogs could talk (Indian phrase meaning a really long time ago) :D
Never had that problem, so maybe it was early on in Paypal's days.

That must have been when dogs could talk (Indian phrase meaning a really long time ago) :D
Never had that problem, so maybe it was early on in Paypal's days.

I remember that limit but not sure how many years back it was. when I buy off feebay and see an excessive shipping charge, I simply contact the seller, tell him I wish to buy, BUT will only pay the actual shipping costs! when I do sell on there ( rarely any more due to their fees) I always charge actually shipping costs. jsus right. no one wants to pay me the costs of traveling to the P O or help fund their feebay costs??????

selling on Ebay essentially sucks BUT, if you can wrap your head around losing 20% of your sales to fees it is a viable option. Think of PayPal like a bank account - you do have to tie it to a CC but that info stays insulated because no buyer or seller ever sees it - I use it for a lot of transactions outside of Ebay - to the point that I look for the PayPal logo when I go shopping on the web. I would suggest that your wife set up her own Ebay & PayPal accounts - 100%. Setting up PayPal is as simple as following the proverbial "bouncing ball" - piece of cake and WELL worth it.

Just hide anything that you want to keep where she can't find it...

Or has anyone tried that new site that they advertise on tv where someone is hanging from a cliff and they sell their prized possession to help escape harm... I can't remember the name...

I have been selling on Ebay for 12 years , fees are not 20% . The fee is 10% but will be offset by 2% if you ship in one day and abide by a few other rules . Paypal will take another 2.75% but if you set-up with their CC they kick back 1.5% with every purchase . How else are you going to get worldwide advertising ?? The only real ***** I have is they charge you the 10% selling fee on the shipping also ( for the last 2 years, to get rid of the guys charging more then the shipping was worth) .
Feel free to PM me with any ?

I sat and did the math a while back because I was doing a lot of selling (little business venture) and needed to know how much I was losing to Ebay & PayPal so I could price things so that I made $$ too - - it might have been 19% - call me a liar for 1%.. 20% is a rough figure that works. Sell an item for $100 and you might realize $80 if you are careful.
I have been selling on Ebay for 12 years , fees are not 20% . The fee is 10% but will be offset by 2% if you ship in one day and abide by a few other rules . Paypal will take another 2.75% but if you set-up with their CC they kick back 1.5% with every purchase . How else are you going to get worldwide advertising ?? The only real ***** I have is they charge you the 10% selling fee on the shipping also ( for the last 2 years, to get rid of the guys charging more then the shipping was worth) .
Feel free to PM me with any ?

that's a little like asking the fox to watch your eggs for ya.. clicked the link and did a quick one - item sold for $168 and shipping is $32 - total EBAY fee (no PayPal involved) was $20 - 10% of $168 is $16.80 - - so it's only 10% IF you do free shipping.. so to cover shipping, if you go with free shipping, you have to up your price --which tends to turn away buyers because they see your starting/asking price as being too high for item XY... personally, it's ok if you're a hobbyist - but selling as a "profession" on Ebay is more of a PITA than it's worth - JMO.

thanks everyone for the input

The reason I quit using Ebay was fees

had a pay pal account for a project I did for the prowler group and had a hard time getting my money

then they wanted my checking account info and decided wasn't doing that. in the mid 90's had someone get info and credit fraud trying to buy a $94,000 MB

so now my wife has been on me for a few years wanting to sell some collectables

I told he if we did we would need a credit card with a low limit and a checking account for that purpose only. From the response I would say I was right

might have to look into another way to sell the stuff

Thanks All

might have to look into another way to sell the stuff

If you're doing eBay, you pretty much have to do PayPal - I won't bid on something if they won't take PayPal. Really, the only problem I've ever run across is if you do a big volume, as mentioned above.

-
Back