Will 402 pan fit?

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Tried a milodon windage tray on my 893 pan and it's nowhere near a decent fit.
I have a 402 pan and the tray fits fine on that.
Will 402 pan clear factory big block A body k frame and steering etc.??

Nope. Least not well.

Surprised that tray is a poor fit! Find an original tray and it will fit/work just fine with the 893!

I believe it may fit with 73-76 steering linkage. I'm going to be giving it a try here soon.

I believe it may fit with 73-76 steering linkage. I'm going to be giving it a try here soon.

I currently run an 8 QT moroso pan "Very Thick" with factory tray and all is good short of hard right turns. A little rub that will only get worse with time. That is with original 69 steering gear.

The 402 seems even more of an issue due to thickness or should I say thinness of the pan. Certainly it is not hard to find a factory windage tray and run the 893.

I know I am excited to put the 893 aftermarket pan on mine I have procured, and purchase a RR regrind style cam and do it all at the same time.

Last edited:
I might add that pan would last 5 or more years so you be the judge!

I ran an 893 oil pan for decades with a Mopar windage tray with no issues. What is the difference in the Milodan tray? And no, a 402 pan will NOT fit.

.......Will 402 pan clear factory big block A body k frame and steering etc.??

FWIW,There are two points where the 402 is an issue that I know.

the passenger side front corner of the bucket to k-member (this '69 K is modified, lip is removed but has not been notched)
OilPan402b.jpg

the passenger side center link/idler joint behind the bucket on right turn
OilPan402.jpg

I have the QA1 k-frame with a 402 pan, steering clears by miles.

FWIW,There are two points where the 402 is an issue that I know.

the passenger side front corner of the bucket to k-member (this '69 K is modified, lip is removed but has not been notched)
View attachment 1715097890

the passenger side center link/idler joint behind the bucket on right turn
View attachment 1715097891

K-member can be notched easy enough. Where you have contact is due to the early (67-72) steering linkage. My '67 has '73-up linkage which has a lot more room.

You have an 893 so why notch the K or change steering linkage. Find a factory windage tray and be done. They were used on lots of engine combos and should be readily available.

-
Back