Will a stock pump support 400 HP??????

-
I think my car is currently close to 400 hp and I put a stock pump on it (the Carter model from Summit). I never get to 400hp since I am on the street and keep it at lower RPMs, though, so maybe this isn't a good example.

Does it have any problems at W.O.T.? And can you hold a high engine speed for longer than a minute? If you can do this, your fine. The pump can ha doe the job.

I'd be scared to hold it to the floor for 1 minute , doin 108 mph in 12.9 sec after 60 sec ? Maybe on a long track with a 2 mile straight

Yes, that is the general calculation. The 1/2 lb per HP-hr is very well established rule of thumb. Some engines are more efficient but the 1/2 lb rule gets you close and is easy to remember.

Thanks Andy. I've never seen that number before. Just wondered where it came from. Thanks for the explanation.

If you do a Google search for BSFC you'll find a ton of information. The BSFC for gas engines usually runs between .4 and .5 with .5 giving you 1/2 lb of fuel per hp-hr.

If your just putting around on the street a stock is probably fine,if your doing any real racing i wouldn't chance it..

-
Back