Will a truck 727 work for my Dart

-

wafastr

Reaction score
I am building a 70 Dart with a 360 and auto trans. I have an opportunity to buy a used 727 from a 1981 ramcharger or b200 van (seller isn't sure) that was mated to a 318 4 barrel engine. I will be rebuilding the transmission. Will it line up with the trans mounts? Thanks for the help.

my 72 has a 727 out of a 72 motor home, i would assumse that as long as it isn't a 4x4 it would work. mine did. but i've seen 727 with really thick tail shaft housings, make sure it's the skinny one.

I would think so. It MUST be two wheel drive, long shaft. Only glitch I know of is that if you have a 904 now, you'll need a different slip yoke, possibly a different driveshaft, and will have to shorten it

And, if you have a console shifter, not sure.........if Ma still used the linkage bracket which bolts to the bottom of the trans......there is a bump on the bottom with some holes. You might need that

I had one 'ell of a time finding a photo. You can just see them here, they are the two holes on the bottom just to the front and below the speedo cable hookup

I put a 727 under our first 67 notch that came from a Tradesman 200 van. I know I had to change something but my memory fails me. Maybe I turned the center piece of the cross member around to get the mount lined up. Anyway... It was a mistake.
The 904 has a lower gear ratio and put the ponies to the ground a heck of a lot better.
My second mistake was throwing that 727 away. I couldn't give it away then. I could sell it today.

well if your car is a console shift car, you'll need to see if the to bracket bolt holes are on the tail shaft, otherwise you'll have to rig up a bracket to hold your verticle shifting rod. i didnt have to change any mounting holes, or brackets.

Truck and Van 727's Do Not have the holes/ears for a Factory Console Shifter "Torque Shaft". You'll have to add a homemade Bracket to support the vertical "Torque Shaft", Rather easy to make, I made mine in about 5 minutes using some scrap steel that was laying around the shop, and it mounted to the 2 Crossmember Bolts on the Left/Driver's Side.

RV 727's don't have the holes/ears either and are a "Short Tail", leave those transmissions for the Off-Road Crowd. They use a Fixed/Non-Slip Yoke Tailshaft. Meaning it has a Flange to accept a U-Joint and uses a 2-Piece "Slip Joint" Driveshaft. The reason I say leave those for the Off-Road Crowd, is they're the ONLY type of 727 that will work with anyone running a Divorced Transfer Case (such as an early NP205, or any pre-1974 Dodge 4x4) Some Light Duty RV's sometimes use a regular long tail 727 (car/truck type) with a normal Slip Yoke tailshaft.

I had a 727 out of a van in my old dart, no problems, just drive shafts will need altered.
Make sure you grab the flex plate they are different than a 904, I found out the hard way when I was about 18 years old.

Truck and Van 727's Do Not have the holes/ears for a Factory Console Shifter "Torque Shaft".

Well SOME of them did, because mine is out of a van...............

The point is IF you need it you must actually LOOK

mine is out of a truck , 2wd , long tailshaft, had to use my old tailshaft for my floor shifter bracket. the only difference I noticed is the snap-ring cover is on the side and not under the mount

in around 78 or 79 is when mopar stopped putting the console bumps on the tail shaft(of trucks and vans) but it's an easy fix.just get a tail shaft off any long shaft 727...big or smallblock,65 to 78 that has the mounting bumpholes.

mike bee

To add more complete info- this will be a s6 to 360 swap and column shift. I have the proper 8 3/4 differential so I will also need a new driveshaft. Car has 78,000 original miles and runs great. Entire drivetrain will be replaced, don't know if it is desired by anybody. Also upgrading to lbp axles (got some Mosers from fabo) and lbp front discs. 3.55's and limited slip, could use advice on a convertor for primarily street driving.

-
Back