Will all 67-76 Abody drivetrains swap?

-

PlumCrazyChris

Yes I have a modiction
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 74 dart and swapping the drivetrain into my 68 Cuda,
but am wondering if all things are equal, v8, trans, driveshaft, rearend will swap.

the 74 has a bigblock 727 auto, and the 68 has a smallblock 727 auto. I guess the only difference would be if they didn't have the same rearends, then the driveshafts would be different lengths I guess.

My 68 has an 8 3/4, I don't know whats in the 74.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Chris

driveshaft would be specific for trans and wheelbase

Well said 68.........

In my current recollection, the answer would be a resounding yes.......Just slight differences in K-Frame (big block vs. small) and rear mounts (tranny).............:-D

.........and the driveshaft as previously noted..............I should have mentioned that since I just swapped one out..........real ditz today........(my mind, that is).

wheelbase specific, meaning that all 67-76 abodies have the same wheelbase?

sorry, I'm new to abodies, so I've got plenty of pretty general questions. It'd be nice if there was a good narrative of the changes, allpars alright, but not very specific to swapping parts.

Thanks again,
Chris

If not already aware, you will need to use the radiator from the 74 along with the swap in your 68 due to where the bottom rad hose hooks to the waterpump.

Darts/Scamps are 111 inch wheel base...

Dusters/Demons/Dart Sports/ A bodied Barracudas are 108 inch wheel base.

get a tape measure and measure the centerline

Also the motormounts are going to different in that, the 73 and newer A bodies use a spool style mount...and 72 and older use a bisquit style mount.

did not read that you were installing a big block...ignore motor mount comments

727 are all 1 length,so the driveshaft from your 8 3/4 with 727 barracuda driveshaft will work with the 440/727 combo...i would swap in the whole K frame/engine from the 74..if its a original v8 k frame in the 74 it will have the spool mounts, which are fail safe compared to the early ones..

727 are all 1 length,so the driveshaft from your 8 3/4 with 727 barracuda driveshaft will work with the 440/727 combo...i would swap in the whole K frame/engine from the 74..if its a original v8 k frame in the 74 it will have the spool mounts, which are fail safe compared to the early ones..

As long as someone put the correct a body 727 in, they could have used a b/e/pu or a c body unit and had the drive shaft shortened.

-
Back