Will crank, but won't start

-

Tombstone

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1974 dodge dart with a 440 that my wife bought me while i was deployed. And its an amazing car. And has lots of potential. But the issue that i'm having is that the car will crank solid and strong but wont turn all the way over. Unless I have an addition wire connected to the MSD stage 2 coil that i have. Ive replaced the ignition switch and the ballast resistor but still no help. Im learning more about this car everyday. But this issue has me vexed. :banghead: Any comments or suggestions would help greatly. Thank for reading. :happy3:

Disable the starter so it doesn't spin while you are testing. You need power at the coil while cranking. On my Challenger it was a brown wire. If you don't have power there, test both sides of the steering column connector and the bulkhead connector. Since you already replaced the ign switch, my guess is the bulkhead. If that's the case, then cleaning all the connections and using a dielectric grease will get you back on the road. With any extra electrical load, you should really consider doing some mods to the stock wiring.

if it starts and runs by running a wire from the battery to the coil....

get a test light or voltage meter and start checking for voltage going from the coil to the bulkhead on the firewall....

my 73 duster had a problem with the wiring at the bulkhead...if you moved the wire it made contact..moved it again...it did not...

1--Does it have factory wiring?

2--What does it have for ignition, IE Mopar ECU?

3--Do you have a factory shop manual?

As said above.............

You can check for power at the ignition switch connector, and on the firewall side of the bulkhead connector.

Your switch has two ignition outputs known in Mopar lingo as "ign1" (the run circuit) and "ign2" the coil resistor circuit.

The run circuit is COLD when in start so the only source for ignition voltage is the coil resistor bypass circuit, "ign2" which is traditionally brown.

This circuit comes off a separate contact in the ignition switch, goes through the bulkhead connector, and to the coil + side of the ballast resistor

You can disable the starter for testing by pulling off either "push on" wire at the start relay.

From what i cant tell its factory wiring. Except for the push start that was on there before I bought it. I do have a wiring diagram. But haven't had alot of time lately to take a gander at it. But this weekend I will have some time to tinker with it and check all of the voltage. And the bulkhead connector. Thank you for the input and I will keep you'll posted.

-
Back