will it hurt. whats your opinion

-
You guys are getting way off course here. My question was what are your thoughts about using a ridge reamer to cut the ridge out. I was told by a friend who used a ridge reamer that he lost compression I guess because he used the reamer and apparently he didnt use it properly. Is it necessary to cut the ridge and will the new rings hit the ridge if I dont. I am not decking the block. The head is in the shop doing the valves and I am only shaving the head just enough to true it up.I done my 76 engine the same way 6 months ago but didnt have any ridge to cut and it runs fine.
He lost compression through some other error, not from a ridge reamer. Once you use one, or see it used you'll understand.

I don't think it would hit the ridge if it were installed, but I have no idea how you would get the piston and rings back in the cylinder with the ridge there.
well that is what I am thinking and I guess I am going to buy one and take it out. That would solve all the problems here but the only question is which ridge reamer would be a good one to use. I have never had the pleasure of using one and the one I saw on the utube video I think it was an OEM 27030 isnt available anymore. Are they pretty much the same. Harbor Freight is close by.

If you have a cylinder ridge more than likely the cylinder is tapered, or egg shaped how would you set your ring gap? IDK, maybe use a piston and push the rings way down into the cylinder bore and take readings there. Are you going to use a hone to break the glaze from the cylinders, maybe that would be enough to remove the cylinder ridge. I would check your piston landings just make sure there're not ring grooved.

Last edited:
well that is what I am thinking and I guess I am going to buy one and take it out. That would solve all the problems here but the only question is which ridge reamer would be a good one to use. I have never had the pleasure of using one and the one I saw on the utube video I think it was an OEM 27030 isnt available anymore. Are they pretty much the same. Harbor Freight is close by.

I don't like ridge reamers. It is easy to go too far. If you do use one, go light and finish hone. You don't have to get all the wear or ridge completely out.

These are the type of hone I would use. Crisco as lubricant.

Actually a ridge reamer should be used BEFORE removing the pistons. That way the rings will not catch on the ridge and damage the ring lands on the piston. If using the reamer I referred to and set it properly, it is hard to go too far.

Here's the one I have. It was given to me by the old man I worked in the machine shop for when I was a kid. It's from the 1940s. Yes, I still have the original box.
RIDGE REAMER2.JPG

RIDGE REAMER1.JPG

RIDGE REAMER BOX2.JPG

RIDGE REAMER BOX1.JPG

Yea, we get off track!
You need to check back and get us going the right way!
Is it a 170, 198 or 225 engine?

Yes use the reamer and just remove the ridge.

Yea, we get off track!
You need to check back and get us going the right way!
Is it a 170, 198 or 225 engine?

Yes use the reamer and just remove the ridge.
It is a 225. I just bought a Lisle 36500 reamer and it will be here tomorrow. Thanks

It is a 225. I just bought a Lisle 36500 reamer and it will be here tomorrow. Thanks
I don't know how those are made, but the one I have will work with the pistons still in the block, or not, it doesn't matter. That round pad on the bottom of it is designed to contact the piston and that pushes the blades out against the cylinder. It works without the piston in the bore as well.

I don't know how those are made, but the one I have will work with the pistons still in the block, or not, it doesn't matter. That round pad on the bottom of it is designed to contact the piston and that pushes the blades out against the cylinder. It works without the piston in the bore as well.
we will see. How bad is cam bushings to install.

we will see. How bad is cam bushings to install.
I'm sure it will work fine. I have a how to on cam bearings in the how to section. As long as you have the proper tool, there's really nothing to it.

Ok, the 225 is a lot lower piston deck height.
Your reamer should do the job.
I use an old ring hone with good results.
Just break the glaze and leave a good crosshatch pattern and you should be good to go.

Is it necessary to cut the ridge and will the new rings hit the ridge if I dont.
Can you provide the gang with some info? Likely some measuring tools are not at your disposal. Try this. Is engine apart? Used ring. put it above ware area, measure end gap with feeler gauge. Same used ring, put in wore are of cylinder, measure end gap, using feeler gauge. report back. If the difference is EXTREME, we may have suggestions. Maybe proceeding to pic #1 could be OK for your budget.
20231222_105431.jpg

20231222_093257.jpg

Can you provide the gang with some info? Likely some measuring tools are not at your disposal. Try this. Is engine apart? Used ring. put it above ware area, measure end gap with feeler gauge. Same used ring, put in wore are of cylinder, measure end gap, using feeler gauge. report back. If the difference is EXTREME, we may have suggestions. Maybe proceeding to pic #1 could be OK for your budget.
View attachment 1716181783

View attachment 1716181782
I bought a lisle 36500 reamer. I dont have a budget. I do what is necessary. just dont want to bore the cylinder. I plan on reaming it. cut the ridge. thanks

View attachment 1716181783

View attachment 1716181782
That's the ridge cutter I use, the only type I will use, it cannot over-cut the top of the bore. It will follow the established taper etc., but won't cut below the ridge.

I dont know anything about this other than to get the cylinders bored and I dont want to go that far but I have a small ring wear at the top of the cylinder. I am going through this engine trying to keep it home to the original car. It is a 66 Valiant. slant 6. replacing rings, rod and main bearings, and after I got down this far I am replacing the camshaft, lifters. My question is I am going back with the same pistons. Will that ridge at the top be ok. I cant see that the new rings will get into it OR what is your opinion about using a ridge reamer to cut that ridge out. I have read both pro and cons about this and have never done it. If used will I lose compression. If I dont will the new rings hit the ridge and cause a problem. let me know what you think.

let me know what you think.
I just gotta say this;
the top inch or so of bore is where the power is made.
If you have a lo-compression design, this is more important than ever.
Every .001inch of change in bore-size, is a ring-gap change of .003 and change.
If your cylinders have ridges, your rings are guaranteed to be sliding back and forth in the ringlands, wearing them out, and cylinder pressure is guaranteed to end up in the pan.
and
when the piston goes down on the intake stroke, some of those oil-laden CC gasses can easily find their way into the combustion chambers, if not up past the rings, then in thru the PCV. Those gasses can lead to carbon build-up, to detonation, to a loss of power, and specifically, to a sluggish throttle.

The slanty is not known for it's fantastic cylinder pressure, so giving it away, is only gonna cost you engine-efficiency, and subsequent high cost of fuel usage, hitting you in the wallet at every fill-up.
What you spend in pistons and boring, can be recovered , possibly even in the First year of operation, depending on your usage of the car; certainly in the second.
And, with the rings no longer wearing out the lands, your engine is gonna last a lot longer.
And with so much less chamber problems, your oil is gonna stay cleaner for longer, easing the wear on the bearings, etc.

IMO, not boring your engine, when there is a clear indication of a ridge, is um, foolhardy. And once the choice is made to replace them, you are not stuck with factory replacements.

FYI, In 50 years of reconditioning/rebuilding/hot-rodding my stuff, I have twice built 9.5 Scr 225s, and I remember those lil rockets fondly. Bolt a 2800 on the back, and go have a blast.

I dont know anything about this other than to get the cylinders bored and I dont want to go that far but I have a small ring wear at the top of the cylinder. I am going through this engine trying to keep it home to the original car. It is a 66 Valiant. slant 6. replacing rings, rod and main bearings, and after I got down this far I am replacing the camshaft, lifters. My question is I am going back with the same pistons. Will that ridge at the top be ok. I cant see that the new rings will get into it OR what is your opinion about using a ridge reamer to cut that ridge out. I have read both pro and cons about this and have never done it. If used will I lose compression. If I dont will the new rings hit the ridge and cause a problem. let me know what you think.
First question, how much ridge is there? As the cylinder and rings wear, they wear to match eachother slowly over time. Most of these old engines have a pretty square ridge that will catch the rings as you attempt to remove the pistons. Even with not a lot of wear, the new square rings will hit the rounded corner of the ridge and cause damage.
Being carbureted these engines did not meter the fuel.as well or atomize as well as the injected cars. New vehicles with 300k miles have minimal ridge in most cases.
You do not remove enough to affect compression.
I don't like ridge reamers. It is easy to go too far. If you do use one, go light and finish hone. You don't have to get all the wear or ridge completely out.

These are the type of hone I would use. Crisco as lubricant.

[/URL][/URL]
A ridge reamer when trued to the cylinder and locked in will.not remove too much metal it is guided by the remaining cylider wall.

Way back when they used ridge reamers so that you could remove the piston without damage to same. If your pistons came out without a problem then there is probably no reason to use the reamer. However, in some cases-not all, there can be interference between the small radius at the ridge & a new top ring which could cause problems. For me I would use the reamer if you can catch your finger nail under the edge of the ridge just for safety. As for compression loss: The slant 6 is a low compression engine so my guess is that the power loss would be undetectable. If you are re-using the old pistons check for clearance at the top ring groove. Insert (don't install) the new ring in the groove & see if it will rock excessively. You are checking to see if the ring groove is tapered (wider at the outside than the inside).

-
Back