Will Original temp gauge work with big block?

-

josekh7

Reaction score
Hey guys so i am converting my 70 dart from a slant 6 to a 440 with the original dashboard temp gauge work with the new engine? i mean are the temperature ranges the same?

Yes. Don't overtighten, you can ruin the "guts" I don't recall if slants had a different size. They are common pipe thread, but if you must buy one, any "real" parts store should have 'em and they fit about 20 years. All through the 60's and 70's at least

Rock Auto shows SMT (Standard) TS-17T is a whole 4 bucks LOL

Summit wants 15 bucks for the same thing!!

The V8's are 1/8 pipe which is approx 3/8" OD I believe the slants are larger, perhaps 3/8 pipe? Which is about 5/8 OD

A quick search on th' bay shows lots of them under 10 bucks

Yes, just move the sender from one engine to the other and off you go. however the stock gauges aren't super accurate...so may want to consider an aftermarket gauge (even if you mount it way down on the dash by the trans hump) so you keep a clean interior.

The stock gauges aren't super accurate....

Can't emphasize this enough.

One thing you can do is use a heat gun to check varies surfaces at a given reading on the factory gauge. i.e. water pump housing, radiator, etc.

Yes, just move the sender from one engine to the other and off you go. however the stock gauges aren't super accurate...so may want to consider an aftermarket gauge (even if you mount it way down on the dash by the trans hump) so you keep a clean interior.
Totally agree, I did the swap and the factory gauge is way lower than my after market one. I just put a second sender into an adapter that goes into the rad hose ans kept the stock one in the block. Works good for me. If I ever take the pump out again I plan an drilling and tapping the wp housing for the second sender.

-
Back