will rear sway bar help stop side wall rubbing

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
im running a 8 3/4 Stockton wheels i think there 4" back spacing cant recall
running a 245 tire i trimmed the wheel lip some but still have a slight rub only on drivers side heres a pic of my clearance

i was thinking of buying a hellwig rear sway bar but not sure if it will even help guess i may have to go to smaller tires

the rear is the tightest spot probley 1/2 in the center of arch to tire

Attachments

• dart 334.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 324
  • dart 335.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 318
Well you could always remove the trim but I realize that some people like the trim.
I'm not a fan of them myself.

Will it still rub if you take the trim off for a little while just to see if it would rub?

not the trim i checked thats its the quarter for sure
when i had wheels off i installed the trim marked the wheel lip removed trim and ground the quarter up to the trim guess that wasint enuff
i really hate to get smaller rubber but i have no ideal what else to do air shocks???
car was empty pretty much to just me 150 pounds a air cleaner box in the trunk lol
hate to see what happens loaded with 4 guys and a cooler u can see the rub mark on the tire in 2nd pic just across the top of the O and D and above the r

Doubt very much the sway bar will help. One thing that MIGHT is take a good look at your rear shackles and make sure they are not extended, sloppy, etc.

A rear sway bar will not help with the rubbing.

It will help a bunch with the handling.

Takes a lot of the plow (understeer) out of the car and it will corner flatter.

install a panhard bar. it ill remove all side to side movement, altghough it will not appear stock

The rubbing is probably more from the body rolling up into the tire than side to side movement. I'm thinking a sway bar may help.

You did not show the other side....leaf spring side.

I think your back spacing is off. Should be deeper like 4.5" - 5".

I run 255's in the rear with no problems on my cuda...8" wheel and 5" backspace.

Mop

panhard rod would do it with a little bias toward the side its installed to . Its a bar that goes from the driver side frame to the passenger axle tube or diff cover. It allows the live rear axle up and down movement (with a very small arc deflection toward one side) without side movement. If you can get the panhard mount off the frame and more inline with the axle tube, then the deflection at ride height will be reduced. It can be installed without permanent alteration of the car, sans a few bolt holes in the frame channel. Check this out:

http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/panhard.shtml

I agree with check shackles and spring bushings. I'd pull a wheel and verify back spacing too. Have you checked to see if the rear is centered?

Doubt very much the sway bar will help. One thing that MIGHT is take a good look at your rear shackles and make sure they are not extended, sloppy, etc.

I agree, I had this same problem with mine, I bought new poly graphite bushings, and made heavier shackles out of 3/8 flat stock. I also raised mine about 1 1/2" this helped alot. I still don't run too hard into the corners though.

I,m running 255/60/15's on the back of my 68 dart. 7" wide wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I don't the bars will do a thing for your problem. Like someone said before most likely the wheels don't have the right backspacing.

all new rubbers and all just had all of it rebuilt

axel favors drivers side no issues with passenger side
i cant really adjust the axel with out pan hard bar can i

ill check the wheels tonight i got the second hand from a guy who tubed his and just wanted them gone good deal and i took his word on tire size
bell tire also measured what ever with my rims before they ordered the tires guess they were kinda right
i beleave theres 1/4 to 1/2 to springs ill look tonight and get pics

heres front and rear pics to the leafs same as passenger side i checked it

Attachments

• dart 339.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 192
  • dart 341.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 210
8" rim max.

Your slightly wider rim allows the tire to spread out more and create your clearance/lack of issues.

8" and 4.5 to 5" back spacing and you can run the 255's and not have the walls flattened out.

Opinion only :happy3:

Panhard bar is the answer. Your rear will always move side to side unless you control it with panhard bar. Just the arch of the spring will always allow movement. Make the bar level at the middle of the suspension travel. This will put the initial at the center of the arc. After this is determined you can adjust it and move the rear to any side you want by turning the bar . Steve

drove the car for about 5 miles tonight only rub i have is when turning if that helps any and for some reason i think its more when i turn right then left even thou drivers side tire
is the tight one

I had to roll the lip on my Mu***** to fit a 27x10.50 ET Street so maybe that's something you could look into.. any body shop will do it.. as for the trim cut the screws (with them installed) prior to the rolling and have the trim rolled at the same time (with screws removed if possible) then install trim screw and be happy

plus then you could probably fit a 255 tire

-
Back