Will Television be a thing of the past ?

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
Some experts are already forecasting that soon ( ? ) ,, There will no longer any over the air broadcasts , everything will be live streamed .

I use an antenna , get 62 channels , they seem to add them monthly .. lots of redundancy
but, still more than enough to view a hour or two a day and I watch local weather for forecasts

I never watch TV, just last month the wife had the cable turned off.
It was over $200 a month just for the kids to watch cartoons.
She went and bought a smart TV that you can stream about any show.

100 bucks a month for satellite that doesn't get used. Mines getting canceled next month. Streaming and YouTube are what i watch. Love the off grid people on YouTube and the car builders.

Broadcast radio seems to be doing OK despite what a lot of people think.

We cancelled cable 4 or 5 years ago, and have used a Roku since. Once or twice a year we will subscribe to a channel and binge a show, but normally with our schedules we only have about 45 minutes a day to watch TV, so we don't watch much. I also put a big antenna in my attic to pull in over the air channels, barely use it as their is nothing but junk and commercials on.

I’m a millennial at 32. The only people I know who still have cable or satellite are 50+ years old. Not really a money thing for me. Just so much trash on tv.

We've been without satellite well over ten years now. They kept going up every year never offering any deals for existing customers. Screw those guys. I put up an over the air antenna and we get about 32 or so channels. Plus we have a massive dvd collection, about 2500 or so. I'm not streamin chit. If I pay for somethin, I wanna be able to put my HAND on it.

"They" really want to make everything a recurring subscription.

Buy a TV or radio once, and receive content almost free (to quote Geddy Lee of RUSH).

Not at all what "they" want.

I gave up on tv during Covid. Only turn it on to watch a Nascar now and then, or to plug in a movie.

I saved almost two hundred dollars when we cut the cable and hard line phone almost 7 years ago. I don't miss it at all. I have Hulu and Amazon Prime and Netflix but 90% of the time I am watching YouTube for free. Great car and tool shows put on by regular folks on there.

We cut the cord in 2014 and never looked back. Dish won't take their damn equipment back. I want this thing off my roof.

Disagree about radio careers.

Sure the trend is multi-station corporate playlists, but that's not the case where I live.

Plenty of live DJ's and even though I'm between 2 major markets and get double the normal stations, there's no shared content, even between stations owned by the same parent.

Oddly, about 10 years ago, they tried that with the "Bob and Tom" morning show.
Exact same show on 2 different stations.
Except- one was a classic rock station and the other was a country station!
In between the talk, the music was totally different.
I'd have hated to be the PD or whoever had to figure out what song combinations took exactly the same time.

That didn't last too long.

EDIT- maybe it was "John Boy and Billy" now I don't remember who it actually was but I will never forget that it was different music formats with the same talk show.

I have an antenna also and we have have Google fiber and got sling TV so it incorporates my antenna channels (local) to the guide on the sling TV. Stream Amazon and Disney(I’m a Star Wars fanatic.)

Here in canada, tv content sucks. But as mentioned, im over 50 and a bit of an addict. Satellite tv, 3 recievers, one in each garage for music and one in house. $100 ish a month.our internet is wireless,and has limitations for streaming. The rewards of rural living i guess.

Disagree about radio careers.

Sure the trend is multi-station corporate playlists, but that's not the case where I live.

Plenty of live DJ's and even though I'm between 2 major markets and get double the normal stations, there's no shared content, even between stations owned by the same parent.

Oddly, about 10 years ago, they tried that with the "Bob and Tom" morning show.
Exact same show on 2 different stations.
Except- one was a classic rock station and the other was a country station!
In between the talk, the music was totally different.
I'd have hated to be the PD or whoever had to figure out what song combinations took exactly the same time.

That didn't last too long.

EDIT- maybe it was "John Boy and Billy" now I don't remember who it actually was but I will never forget that it was different music formats with the same talk show.

i can not stand morning shows
mindless dribble

i will turn the radio off and listen to silence instead of listening to something like that

I wonder if people add up their subscription services and their internet bill or high data phone bill if they'd get close to what their cable bill was.

My cable bundle has land phone and internet.

Yeah, it's 200 bucks, but if I remove the phone it isn't any cheaper because it's not a bundle any more.

If I remove the phone and TV, it's still 80 bucks (could be more I haven't checked in a while), and once you start adding $10 and $20 a month streaming services, you get back to $200 pretty quick.

My cell phone is only $30 a month for 400 minutes, and I don't even come close.
Don't even know that the data speed or limit is because I almost never watch video on it.
...and my phone was only $99 in 2018.

All those commercials that claim they could save me 2 or 3 hundred a month are kind of funny to me.

We mainly watch HGTV, Discovery, PBS, Animal Planet, Motor Trend, Nat Geo, SyFy, History Channel, Weather Channel, and a few others that escape me right now including local sports, specifically hockey, which is difficult to find otherwise.

My wife has Amazon because she hips and also has the card, so we get that streaming free.

I'd like to see some things on other streaming, but I'd bet I'd get back to $200 or even more piecing all that together.

-
Back