Will this 904 trans work in 65' Barracuda?

-

Novacuda

Reaction score
Howdy folks. I need your expertise again before I order a new 904 transmission for the 65 Barracuda I'm building. I "think" I read on here somewhere that there was a difference in the early vs. later 904's. The one I'm looking at is:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa12102/overview/make/plymouth

Will my 3 65' trans cables bolt up to this or is there anything I need to know as far as another trans, or incompatibility with this one in the 65'? Also, someone told me there's something I need to modify with the torque converter when using the 904 on a 360 engine, can y'all clear this up for me? Thanks for helping a Chevy guy! :D:banghead:

BTW, this car will 99% be a street car, rarely if ever seeing track time.

65 is a one year only trans you would need a 65 trans to be rebuilt to use your cables. ( valve body is different and has front and rear pumps )
I do believe someone makes a conversion cable to use that shifter on the later trans.
but have never seen one myself.

If you want to use the pushbutton shifters you will need the 904 specifically for the cable shifters and the correct year valve body. If you're wanting to use an aftermarket floor shifter most any 904 will work. The difference you have been told about for mating a 904 to a 360 is that the pre 68 torque converters have a smaller snout on them than the later models. You can get around this with a spacer from Torqueflite Patty or by swapping out the front three main components in the PB tranny to a 68 and later parts to get the more modern input shaft so you can use a later style torque converter. 360s use an external balance converter and the pushbutton trannys were for internal balanced engines which can be covered with an adapter flexplate by B&M, by welding ablancing weights to a converter or by usig a converter for external balance.

Thanks for the help guys! It's a factory floor-shift, not the push button shifter which I think was in the 64's? I may just put an aftermarket floor-shifter in it if I can't bolt in the trans I listed. I'd like to keep the factory shifter-console though, hmmph Chevy's are much easier lol.

Thanks for the help guys! It's a factory floor-shift, not the push button shifter which I think was in the 64's? I may just put an aftermarket floor-shifter in it if I can't bolt in the trans I listed. I'd like to keep the factory shifter-console though, hmmph Chevy's are much easier lol.

If your Cuda was a 67 or later it would be much easier to build, the early ones are a pain

do some digging like I said I am pretty sure someone makes a cable or conversion to use that 56 console / shifter with the later trans. 65 has 2 cables.

do a search-- some one has an aftermarket style shifter mounted in the 65 console.

that is a unique unit.

Lawrence

... Imperial Services....(if they are still in business)...might have the info. IIRC there was a pushbutton shift mech that worked with the later trans. IDK though, im old and am starting to get the oldtimers....

As long as you have a single cable floor shifter or don't mind putting one in that trans. will work. a 3 cable shifter wont' work.

A 360 is an externally balanced engine like a Chevy 400 small block but where-as Chevy used a special weighted flex plate to balance the 400 Mopar used a weight on the torque converter to balance the 360. But the aftermarket has came through with a special flexplate that takes the place of needing a specially weighted torque converter. Search Summit for B&M or TCI flex plate that'll work on a 360 LA assuming your engine is a 91 or older or 360 magnum if it's a 92 or newer. The aftermarket flex plate I'm talking about will have a big notch cut out of it on one side. That's what does the balancing.

-
Back