Will This Cam Work Well?

-

Brian c

Reaction score
I have a comp cam- 20-231-4 (part number) Its going in a 408 stroker, all forged, balance, with 12:1 compression. Will be running "j" heads with the big valves and huge port and pulish work done to them. LD340 intake with a eld 750 carb. Will be running a 4spd with a 83/4 with 373.

setup is going in a 73 dart sport. Trying to build a mean street machine and only want to build it once, lol. Just wondering if this cam is good for the build? What should i exspect? any pointers would be great. I hope i am impressed with this engine

cam will work...but i would go with something like a comp 274XE

i would get rid of the eddy 750 carb and use a 750 holley double pumper...

cam will work...but i would go with something like a comp 274XE

i would get rid of the eddy 750 carb and use a 750 holley double pumper...
I new the carb was kinda crappy but it was cheap. Why should i go with the 274xe?

I have a comp cam- 20-231-4 (part number) Its going in a 408 stroker, all forged, balance, with 12:1 compression. Will be running "j" heads with the big valves and huge port and pulish work done to them. LD340 intake with a eld 750 carb. Will be running a 4spd with a 83/4 with 373.

setup is going in a 73 dart sport. Trying to build a mean street machine and only want to build it once, lol. Just wondering if this cam is good for the build? What should i exspect? any pointers would be great. I hope i am impressed with this engine
sorry, cam specs here> http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=671&sb=2

That 282S is a good camshaft. Had one in a 340 and it was pretty raspy. Will be much more docile in a stroker.

Whatever the RPM range it says, lower it about 500 for your stroker would be my guess.

That 282S is a good camshaft. Had one in a 340 and it was pretty raspy. Will be much more docile in a stroker.

Whatever the RPM range it says, lower it about 500 for your stroker would be my guess.

Thanks! any input helps. I hope it hauls *** :toothy10:

+1, this will be a nice cam in that 408, especially with a stick, just make sure you check P/V clearance, & ditch the eddy carb & get a "real one".

too much static with open chamber heads. I think you will have a detonation issue if it's indeed 12:1. I would have gone one step larger to the XTQ281S-6 with those heads.

too much static with open chamber heads. I think you will have a detonation issue if it's indeed 12:1. I would have gone one step larger to the XTQ281S-6 with those heads.

i dont plan on keeping those heads forever. Might run them for a season and upgrade to something else. Thanks for the input, everything helps

+1, this will be a nice cam in that 408, especially with a stick, just make sure you check P/V clearance, & ditch the eddy carb & get a "real one".

Yeah that carb does have to go. I'll run it at first just cause i have it sitting there but will ditch it sometime.

i ran a mopar 557 252@050 in a 408 ,j heads 3500 lbs ,3.9 gears 26/10 11.5@118 10.8 comp and mi intake .i think single plain 255@ 050 can 580 lift 4000 stall in the 10 .9 @122

-
Back