Will this work with an 8 1/4?

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
I'm currently rebuilding a '74 duster (originally /6 with 7 1/4 rear end) I am now upgrading to 360 with 8 1/4 where the rear end came out of a '73 duster. My questions is this, Will all the brake hardware from the 7 1/4 transfer correctly over to the 8 1/4 or is there a little different set up? The reason I'm asking is because the 8 1/4 didn't have any brake hardware what so ever on it and I need to swap everything over. Any help would be appreciated !!!

Thanks Aaron

Won,t fit,it,s all different.You can use 8 1/4 brakes on 8 3/4 but the 7 1/4 are to small for 8 1/4.Good luck!

I'm not too familiar with the 8 1/4 since this is the first time I've dealt with one, but what is the difference you are referring to? Is the difference with the way the hardware is set up or are the brakes a larger size on the 8 1/4? I know the brakes are 10" drums on the 7 1/4.

Is the 7 1/4 a bbp or small bolt pattern.

We just swapped a complete BBP brake set up off a 7 1/4 right onto an 8.75. An 8.25 will use the same stuff. The one thing you may need to do is drill the 5th hole in your backing plate going from 7.25 to 8.25. Some 7.25's only have 4 axle flange stud/nuts.

If it's a small bolt pattern, then it won't work.

The 7 1/4 is the BBP. If by chance we can not get this to work are there any kits out there from advance auto or the internet that will allow for me to complete the brake system on my 8 1/4. If not then would I need to find a donor rear end to transfer the hardware over?

I bought all brand new brake hardware for 10" on an 8 3/4, springs, wheel cylinders, etc (except for the emergency brake plate) from Year One, fairly cheap.

Ok thanks for your help Y'all !
Very interested to know what you wound up doing at the end. Can you explain in detail what you did and were did you get the right parts to make the same work. It would be good to have the completion posted to help others like me.LOL :read2:

I'll answer that question (I'm his dad). He ended up buying an 8-3/4" and I am going through it right now while he is off to college - go figure. This rear end is a 741 case with 2.94 gear set from a '67 B-body (and no brake hardware).

We plan on replacing axle bearings and seals, and still need to round up some brake hardware. From what crackedback said, it looks like we will be swapping stuff over from the 7-1/4".

Jerry

The 7 1/4 I pulled was sbp,sorry for wrong answer.Didn,t know you had 7 1/4 with bbp.!My bad:toothy10:

-
Back