Will this work?

-

tekslk

Reaction score
Ive just changed over to power brakes and I am a little weak on vacume. Only trouble is in the driveway where I turn around and im not building enough vacume for all the little pumps Im giving the brakes. Now the 1,000000000 dollar question, I added a brake canister to store some vacume it helped some but would dual canisters help and give me the extra that I need?

http://www.saccrestorations.net/power-brake-booster-electric-vacuum-pump/

Power Brake Booster Electric Vacuum Pump

RRP: $299.99
Your Price: $284.99
(You save $15.00)
SKU: 91028146
Brand: SSBC
Weight: 5.00 LBS
Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 business days.
Shipping: Calculated at checkout
Quantity:

This would be better

Double tanks no think about it your vacuum must be low check it if its lower than 15 not good

Or you could just buy a 96-99 neon master with 7/8 piston use it manual added bonus its aluminum cheap / brake will not have hard feel 26$ for adj proportioning form ebay

Im not wanting to spend 300 dollars, I may in the end if another 50 dollar canister wont work. You no dual canisters.

I have no issues driving just idling around the drive way, slow stop and turn, when idling in gear about 7=9 vacume. Going down the road and even in town redlights causes no problems.

I have no issues driving just idling around the drive way, slow stop and turn, when idling in gear about 7=9 vacume. Going down the road and even in town redlights causes no problems.

Vacuum should be highest at low RPM if I recall correctly. Why is your vacuum so low? They say 18" is really required for most applications for power brakes. Some will work well in the 12" to 13" if everything is just right.

Honestly, instead of spending money on a drum system, I would just ditch the power booster and do a front disc conversion.

Manual discs require very little effort on these cars.

Actually, your existing drums in manual mode should be even easier on the foot than disks. That is because drum shoes have a "self-jamming" effect, which is why they are touchier if gummy stuff gets on the shoes. Almost all cars since 1980's have a booster because of the front disks (73+ federal mandate).

Cheapest would be to buy a manual MC, which usually comes with the rod and should be a direct bolt-up and free up space and weight in your engine bay. Look for a 1"D bore max.

Another approach would be adding on an electric vacuum pump. Many cheap rodders have taken to getting the pump from a junkyard VW diesel of the last 10 years, maybe $50. You can find on ebay. I have been thinking of getting one for my M-B diesels since the engine-drive vac pumps are expensive and problematic.

-
Back