Wind whistle when top down

-

a990

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with terrible whistle at speeds slower than 50MPH, accelerate faster and it is much less noticeable. Comes from windshield area....tried covering various areas with masking tape, etc., no changes to speak of. Thanks for any input.

My 64 had a whistle with the top down and it came from me not putting the closed cell foam tape under the stainless steel outside trim and inner chrome trim. once I put the thin closed cell foam tape in between that and the body on the 2 sets of trim it went almost all the way away. I never did get rid of it all, there might have been a few gaps I missed though.

Moldings around the front glass are the most common source of wind noise, any model.
Rangers and Bronco 2s had a strip of vinyl under the reveal moldings that would make a buzzing noise at speeds. Fix was a easy as shoving lengths of vinyl banding from boxes in the voids.
If your front window stainless has never been removed, you'll likely find the adhesive backed foam rotted to powder. The good thing is the same material can be found in hardware stores weather stripping supplies.

Sorry I haven't replied recently, didn't have any notices via email until now....yes, it is a '68 Dart convertible.

I will certainly take the trim pieces off and check for weatherstripping, now that you guys mention it I had a '69 that I replaced it on a few years ago but just because I was repolishing it so will check on those issues. Thanks so much for the input, I'll let you know what I find.

I have found masking tape works best here (you mentioned that you tried that).

Drive, tape, drive, until you kill the whistle. Could be your side mirror too.

Thanks, I'll eventually get it figured out, so why reinvent the wheel when I have great resource guys like you all. I so appreciate everyone's help!

-
Back