Windage tray question

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
My parts car has a windage tray, so I am thinking I will install it on the 318 I am putting in my Duster. Of course the main bearing bolts on my engine will have to come off to be replaced with the ones that will accept the windage tray bolts.
My question, if I simply remove the 4 main bearing bolts and replace them, will I run into any kind of trouble? Or would I have to remove all of them and reinstall all of them together?
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
C

I did the swap with no issues. Took the 4 out and swapped in the other 4.

I would use ARP Bolts in fact I have a new (Milodon) Windage Tray with ARP bolts that I'm thinking of selling (I'm using a stud girdle instead).

Use 2 hardened washers under each of the main bolts, to get the tray higher off the crank centerline on a 273 or 318. 340 main caps were heavier and taller.

The tray is coming off a 318 engine (1988), there were no washers under the main bolts. Could these bolts be a better design to eliminate the washers?

Another follow up question. I've read that I should use some lock tite with the tray bolts. Should I also use lock tite on the main bolts?
Thanks for the answers so far!
C

I would find or buy 8 grade eight 1/2 washers. As I remember they were .100 thick. two under each 340 main bolt head. You can check by pulling one of the regular main bolts and compare length with the special windage tray 340 main bolts. I would only locktite the tray bolts. Imagine not having 2 x 85 ft lb clamping force on each of the two, out of five, main caps. Or using only 3 main caps... Not to mention low oil pressure due to oversize clearances on two main bearings. Good call 1wild&crazyguy.

-
Back