windage tray question

-
Gawd; yo ain't gonna get that much HP from the tray. Just build it without one. I've been running trays since 1970. Take it off, can't see the difference.

Didnt mean to start an argument! Hahaha
But for now ill save it for the 360 and just put the 318 together without it, i think the magnum heads will give me the extra 5hp i would have gained if i used the tray so itll all work out for the best lol

I've been on the dyno plenty. Everthing from an iron head 292ci 273 that made 472hp to a 482 pontiac that made 982 to every kind of BBM wedge and hemi. My current pump gas street hemi made 740hp on 93octane and 1050 on the juice. Have a 540 twin turbo all aluminum hemi that'll be on there soon. Anytime you wish to compare accomplishments, dial me up. On a throw together stock 318 that's never going to see the high side of 5000 rpm, you have to be fooling yourself to think it's going to justify itself or make an additional 5hp. . If it was a 416 stroker, sure. This is a wasted effort in this piece.
Only 740 hp on a Hemi , with pump gas ? A Canadian did better , jeez :)
830 hp on pump gas
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFN8hgS9j8c&feature=related"]528 V8 Hemi on the dyno. Maximum horsepower! - YouTube[/ame]

I've been on the dyno plenty. Anytime you wish to compare accomplishments, dial me up. On a throw together stock 318 that's never going to see the high side of 5000 rpm, you have to be fooling yourself to think it's going to justify itself or make an additional 5hp. . If it was a 416 stroker, sure. This is a wasted effort in this piece.

LOL, dial you up. More wasted time with someone trying to blote what they think they know.

The OP already dismissed the idea of the tray so the point is moot.

I've bolted together plenty of stock 318 with them seeing the better side of 5000. Not that anyone could tell the difference if the engine has a tray or not.

Yes,but Chrysler put windage trays on stock 340's, because it was free HP.

Now there is a wise man. Never argue with the engineers who screwed it together with published proven results. The above is trying to tell us the Chrysler engineers do not know what there doing. If there is any question about that, just re-read what he said and then go into the history books for those who are schooled and worked in the field working for Chrysler saying different.

I have no degree in this field but I am wise enuff to listen and watch and learn from those who are. If you do not know, ask the expert and Pro in the field.
Not from some guy arguing against them.

Gawd; yo ain't gonna get that much HP from the tray. Just build it without one. I've been running trays since 1970. Take it off, can't see the difference.

You are correct. But the power is there. The OP agreed on it's non use on this engine but slated it for the next. IMO, that is the best bet. IMO, it would be a wasted effort in doing this addition @ the price of the hardware for the build at hand.

Though I like the idea of a deep pan. A dry sump is a bit much for the street in most cases.

They are great for laying out Hors d'oeuvre when hosting a party. Gives that gritty feel to the festivities. :)

Are engineers ever incorrect? Go see the video of the Tacoma Narrows bridge...

Plenty of current engine builder do not use windage trays because their hands on testing has shown they are not as effective as first thought. I tend to use them for oil control purposes, and the stock trays suck at that anyways, not because there is any HP gain.

I'll sit back and watch more of the making friends on the internet diaries.

They are great for laying out Hors d'oeuvre when hosting a party. Gives that gritty feel to the festivities. :)

Sure we all know it's joe blow shade tree mechanics that build and run F-1 cars , engineers , who needs them , they make mistakes .
Space program , some guy in a scrap yard putting together Shuttles from scrapped Dodge Satellites , not engineers .

Currently most new cars have some form of a crank scraper.

only 830? Richard from FASTMANEFI got close to 950 buy the looks of it....
Well going to go have a talk with Nick , can't have some Hemi making more on pump gas . Oh forgot to add , this Hemi is in a street 1969 Charger with A C , so it's reliable as well , not just some high HP hemi that will grenade in a few miles .

Plenty of current engine builder do not use windage trays because their hands on testing has shown they are not as effective as first thought. I tend to use them for oil control purposes, and the stock trays suck at that anyways, not because there is any HP gain.

I'll sit back and watch more of the making friends on the internet diaries.
I agree with this. Heard of more than one SB guy who did back-to-back testing and found that the factory SB tray wasn't all that effective for making hp. There are benefits to using a tray, i just don't believe the factory unit is all that great. As far as gaing 15 hp on a mild SB, i'll believe it when i see it. Maybe if its cut up, screens added,etc. I use stock trays on my BBs, but i pry the louvers open more. As far as the factory engineers knowing what is best: how about the Olds deisel or the Vega aluminum block with no sleeves or the 4-6-8 Cadillac or Lean Burn etc...

Yea, those ol'hunks work great in the dyno room and test tracks!
LOL!

lol. So the oil is in the pan. The crank doesn't hit the oil. The pistons and rods self oil the cylinders and wrist pins. With out any splash happening.

A screen, or a modified tray, is good; for keeping upper end parts away from the pump inlet.

I took a quick look and couldn't find just the bolts. got a link?

It's funny you walk around the car shows and see windage trays all day long, no bolts!

I was there last week and bought their last set of loose ones that were in stock. They do carry them, I just don't know the number as I used them on Cliff's engine.

The 318 & 360 engines that were in squad cars had windage trays :glasses7:

If you are looking for HP I dont believe it is worth the time and effort for 5 HP if your lucky. If you are looking for oil control use it. But that is just my .02

-
Back