windage tray ? worth the money in stockish engines ?

windage tray ? is it worth the money in a stock like engine ?

• forget this piece of crap - racer only stuff

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • go for it - every single horse power counts

Votes: 78 86.7%

• Total voters
-
I pondered the same thing for the 360 build in my truck.It is a stockish build with a better set of heads,mild cam,aluminum intake,and a set of long tube headers.It will never see 6000rpm unless something breaks or I over rev it in the burnout box.

I decided to run one once I got a fair price on a used one.I would not have paid new price for one on this build.

The big blocks are cheap the small blocks not so much. ($80-100)
Your decision. It doesn't hurt if you do but it's not necessary.

And with a small block you need the main bolts. I have a couple trays if anyone needs one, also a new set of MP bolts.

Hmmm
Windage tray & why ???
Contrary to the resident guru's opine here...
H/P detriment by journal speed being slowed through
oil is only one part of the formula...
the other part (go study it up resident guru) is Heat.
I'll make it simple for You guru--- viscosity---

It's not just about the power gain. Any decent sb mopar should rev high enough to benefit from the oil control. It helps keep the oil in the pan.

the current high prices (due to the USD vs. Euro rate) is what stopped my buying a new windage tray. At the moment it will be 147 Euros which is approx 162 USD. Which is a lot of money for a piece of curved sheet metal.

so it looks like i have to open the 273 motor which is in the Fish at the moment and take the windage tray out of it, as it´s not really necessary there, as i have a deep 9 qrt oil pan mounted on that engine.

i started this poll, as i was not sure which way to go for the 5.2 magnum, which should be put into the Fish. 5.2 Magnum nearly Stock crank+rod+pistons, a bit of head work, stronger valve springs and a mild cam (specs unknown at the moment http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=329710) Air Gap-intake and Holley 600cfm or 650 cfm Carb.

thanks everyone for your input

yep, worth it. However, just a heads up, you won't feel it by the seat-of-your-pants. I've never seen (or felt) 15 hp on mild small blocks. I know, I've read the articles, but I think 5-7 hp is probably more like it on a mild SB. You'll need an E.T. slip to see the tenth....

If this your 318 Magnum: It would be nice,you probably won't notice it on the streets,Timo..if after every tenth of E.T, yes.

Did cop or roller 318s get windage trays from the factory?

the current high prices (due to the USD vs. Euro rate) is what stopped my buying a new windage tray. At the moment it will be 147 Euros which is approx 162 USD. Which is a lot of money for a piece of curved sheet metal.

so it looks like i have to open the 273 motor which is in the Fish at the moment and take the windage tray out of it, as it´s not really necessary there, as i have a deep 9 qrt oil pan mounted on that engine.

i started this poll, as i was not sure which way to go for the 5.2 magnum, which should be put into the Fish. 5.2 Magnum nearly Stock crank+rod+pistons, a bit of head work, stronger valve springs and a mild cam (specs unknown at the moment http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=329710) Air Gap-intake and Holley 600cfm or 650 cfm Carb.

thanks everyone for your input

One of us should be able to get you one cheap???

Hmmm
Windage tray & why ???
Contrary to the resident guru's opine here...
H/P detriment by journal speed being slowed through
oil is only one part of the formula...
the other part (go study it up resident guru) is Heat.
I'll make it simple for You guru--- viscosity---

Yeah. Taint hard really. All one has to do is know what "windage" means. LOL

2 things that I have always done with any/all engine builds I have done. Precision balance and a windage tray. BUT, that's just my opinion.

Horsepower aside, I use 'em because I don't like air in my oil. Air sucks as a lubricant in internal combustion engines.

That said, does anybody offer crank scrapers for small blocks now? I looked a few years ago and couldn't find them. I was tempted to make my own but didn't want to screw it up. Would you run both a scraper and a tray?

Horsepower aside, I use 'em because I don't like air in my oil. Air sucks as a lubricant in internal combustion engines.

That said, does anybody offer crank scrapers for small blocks now? I looked a few years ago and couldn't find them. I was tempted to make my own but didn't want to screw it up. Would you run both a scraper and a tray?

I wouldn't run both without major mods to the tray to make sure they compliment each other. OEM trays should have bigger and/or more drainage holes anyway.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Chrysler_LA.html

-
Back