Windage tray

-

ZKDEMON

Reaction score
I have Small block with an eagle 4 inch stroker crank, does a windage tray help with horsepower or not? I have heard some guys say it does and some say it doesn't.

First off I hope you have a FORGED eagle crank, otherwise....boom.
A crank scraper will do a much much better job than a windage crank. That said if you a drag racing the car put a few baffles in the pan or use the milodon road race oil pan.

a tray will always help. most trays have somewhat of a scrapper built onto them. it's free, will almost free, you still have to purchase it but once it's in the motor it just sits there and doesn't ever wear out and adds a few hp.

The MoPar windage tray would not be a good choice....they were designed around the 3.31" stroke motors and crankcase pressure actually goes up with a 3.58" ( 360 ) crank.
I like the scraper idea and a well baffled pan myself.
I have a Stef's pan with trap door baffles and a scraper built in to it for my 3.79" stroke motor.
A scraper reduces the weight of the rotating assembly by helping it shed oil and pan baffles keep the oil around the pick up.
A windage tray kind of / sort of does both , but not as well.

It helps keep the oil off the crank at the expense of losing good splash lubrication to the rest of the bottom end. Everything is a compromise.

If you look in the DC/MP Engine Book, for the small block windage tray they recommond providing more openings than the comes on the stock tray. So if you use one, modify it.

If you look in the DC/MP Engine Book, for the small block windage tray they recommond providing more openings than the comes on the stock tray. So if you use one, modify it.

I use the factory ones with stock pans on the 4" engines. It takes a l;ittle tweaking to get them to fit properly and you need to run main studs for use with a tray or I don;t think it will clear. I also open the stock slots at least 25%. If you're racing the car and run wider clearances and higher rpms with an HV pump - then I'd invest in a good pan and scraper over the tray. A deep pan will get the oil down and away and the scraper will pull it off the crank better than any tray might.

Thanks I have a Milodon low profile oil pan with baffels sounds like a scraper is the way to go. Who makes a good one? (It is a eagle forged crank)

what kind of horsepower should I expect to pick up with this kind of scrapper?

I never use the factory SB tray(but tried them), a larger pan is a nice gain on the track if ET's are what your shooting for,the larger the better but I doubt you could get a large enough unit in a stock K frame.

Buy a Kevco pan and don't use the tray.

i have a kevco pan and windage tray. the Mopar book "How to build big inch small block mopars" says a gain of 40 hp by using a windage tray.

i have a kevco pan and windage tray. the Mopar book "How to build big inch small block mopars" says a gain of 40 hp by using a windage tray.
Read closely. You actually increase crank case pressure with the 3.58 stroke using the MoPar tray.
That is not the way to make power.
How much power you gain is going to be subject to a few variables......a deeper pan will eliminate much of the oil getting wrapped up in your rotating assembly. A tray will capture oil from the rotating assembly and keep it below the crank shaft in the sump where the pick up can do it's job.
But a scraper does this much more effectively than a tray when you are talking about removing excess oil from the spinning stuff.
Less windage = more h.p.
It should also help return the oil to the pan , but a scraper doesn't have the oil control capabilities of a tray or a good pan , where those can keep the oil in the sump.
The Kevco pans seem to be a really nice part for the money ..... a baffled pan with a built in scraper. The pan scrapers are typically not as efficient as ones that are specifically contoured to your crankshaft and rods. These are the Cadillacs of oil control. It is sort of free horse power........you pay once and until you kick the rods out of it , it will always do it's job.
40 h.p. is pretty optimistic. You would have to be improving on an absolute horse **** set up from the start. But I suspect that 15 would be a reasonable expectation.

I think I will look at the Kevlar pan and maybe a scapper thanks everyone

-
Back