Winding sound.

-

J's1970Duster

Reaction score
I recently installed a new 8.75 rear end in my duster. I hear a winding sound. It seems to be coming from the third member? Is this normal?

Are you sure it's winding and not unwinding?

A little noise is sometimes present but only tolerated for the most part.
More specifics about on throttle
Off throttle
All the time
only at certain speed

Any details will help anyone trying to help you.

Does accelerating or decelerating make a difference? If so, the pinion gear depth is incorrect. or the pinion yoke nut is not torqued properly.

Are you sure it's winding and not unwinding?

A little noise is sometimes present but only tolerated for the most part.
More specifics about on throttle
Off throttle
All the time
only at certain speed

Any details will help anyone trying to help you.

It happens when when I'm on the throttle. Sometimes at certain speeds it sounds like a chatter. When I let off the throttle it stops. When I'm slowing down or coming to a stop it sounds like it is unwinding. I was told today that I may not have thick enough gear oil. I used .75 of a bottle of posi trac additive and two quarts of GL-5 80W-90 gear oil.

It happens when when I'm on the throttle. Sometimes at certain speeds it sounds like a chatter.

That's not good IMO.
You should take it down and see why or risk destroying it, but it sounds like gear wear that it may not recover from.

Did you even READ post #3?

I swear to GOD I think I am just going to stop trying to help people.

Check the pinion yoke nut. See if it's loose. If it's not, the pinion gear depth is WRONG. Case closed.

Did you even READ post #3?

I swear to GOD I think I am just going to stop trying to help people.

Check the pinion yoke nut. See if it's loose. If it's not, the pinion gear depth is WRONG. Case closed.

Yep, that'd be the very first thing to check, and even see if you can get it to move around AT ALL by grabbing the driveline right in front of the yoke and yank up and down on it HARD. (If it moves at ALL in any direction) that's the problem.

Thank you everyone for your information. I apologize for any questions that may have been asked more than once, or some information that I may have missed.

New rebuilt by who? Take it to them and have them fix it. If you set it up, you did it wrong. Simple ?

-
Back