• dark black tint

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • no tint

Votes: 27 46.6%

• Total voters
-

68valiant400

Reaction score
i was thinking of getting my windows tinted a nice dark black this summer and am looking for any input from my fabo members, stuff like if it looks good on my car, or if the scratches in glass will ruin the look, thanks for any help

mopar 027.jpg

mopar 034.jpg

I say do it. I want to do the same thing. Will you do it yourself or take it somewhere? What does it cost to have it put on?

well i was in auto glass but would never attempt tint on an old car so i would take it to the pro's, good tint goes from 200 and up, dont fall for the cheap crap or poor installers you'll hate your self later.

Yes, be very careful with the tint. Make sure it's on a nice day and in the afternoon when it's warm. I had tint installed on my 63 dart and the first installer did it in the morning with a chill in the air. Needless to say they "accidently" tapped the back glass with the heat gun and shattered it in to a million pieces. Of course they were not prepared to hunt down a rear glass for my dart. Make sure they will pay for all damages up front. Oh, yes to the tint, I wouldn't go really dark though. Also make sure your window wiskers are good. Bad wiskers will tear up the tint quick.

Mine are tinted, living in Arizona it really helps protect the interior............. Mine ran me around $150 a couple years ago (quality scratch resistant material). I think it improves the look of the car. I don't have any scratches in the tint yet. The rear window was done in two pieces though so there is a small line across the back, not really to noticeable.

Duster Side View.jpg

Duster Rear 2.JPG

I did it, limo in the back and dark one the other four. got it done at a tint shop and haven't had one bad thought about it since...

PICT1283.jpg

PICT1284.jpg

duster3.jpg

PICT1431.jpg

PICT1432.jpg

PICT1359.jpg

nice looking cars, and i forgot you should always ask how many pieces there going to use on back window, 2 is most you usually want,

and what about a tint band like on my avenger or is that oveboard tuner like?

sorry bad pic didn't realize cant even see tint band really

avenger pictures 014.jpg

I will add my .02 here. I have done this several times with several cars over the years. Check your local laws re: just how dark you can go. Our local police carry an acrylic bar with different grades/percentages and if it is too dark, you get a fix it ticket (which can be expensive - especially if you have it redone in a lighter shade. I do like adding tint for aestetics but personally like a mid grade. I have also had some bad experiences with very dark tints at night as well as different materials reflecting differently. Good luck.

Looks wicked, like Christine. I'm definitely getting my windows done after the paint job. Nice cars guys!

I will add my .02 here. I have done this several times with several cars over the years. Check your local laws re: just how dark you can go. Our local police carry an acrylic bar with different grades/percentages and if it is too dark, you get a fix it ticket (which can be expensive - especially if you have it redone in a lighter shade. I do like adding tint for aestetics but personally like a mid grade. I have also had some bad experiences with very dark tints at night as well as different materials reflecting differently. Good luck.

Ben hit on a few good points: Local laws will leave you in the position of being ticket bait. No sense in giving the police a reason to pull you over, then give them the opportunity to check tires...exhaust....lights...etc. And forget about night time driving, especially in the rain. I had a car with 5% limo tint and it was down right dangerous to drive in certain conditions. But man-o-man, it sure looked good! And the A/C works better too!

We have 35% in Amy's VW on the front doors and it's just right. The rear side windows are 5% limo tint, which effectively renders the rear side glass useless.
DodgeDart031-vi.jpg

Besides, in my opinion dark cars look better with dark tint than a light colored car. A light car looks like a photo negative to me....

ya for sure wouldn't go to dark, dont need anymore reason to be pulled over, and dark tint sucks because it can mess up alarm systems, my avengers alarm doesn't work as well anymore, because of the metal particles in the tint

We have 35% in Amy's VW on the front doors and it's just right. The rear side windows are 5% limo tint, which effectively renders the rear side glass useless.
DodgeDart031-vi.jpg

Of course, the local mailbox artists may tint your windows for free in the color of their choice. :-D

Mine will be tinted as well, however not the double limo I had on my 75 duster when I was 16. it was like driving a box truck with no windows. :lol: my brother ended up backing over a something at a party and crushing the gas tank because he couldn't see (or b/c of the drinking :) )
As for the windshield strip, I'd do it, but it may make the cops look twice. I never got pulled over (even with the double limo) until I put the strip on. Apparently the cop thought it was too low, but after he measured it, it was ok... still got a ticket for the back windows. Windshield is short compared to the 8 feet of glass on the front of a minivan.

FWIW - Check with your pro tinter about the depth of scratches in your glass. On my '72 Duster the new tint exaggerated the scratches a lot and I haven't had a lot of luck finding brand new glass. On the positive side, it will dramatically reduce your interior temp and the windshield band really helps too. Ditto on checking the local law; our state allows dark on the rear window and back sides but requires much lighter on the two front door windows and the enforcement guys carry a light transmission meter they slide down over the partially rolled down window to check the percentage.

Personally, I hate dark tint on vintage cars.

If you must tint, don't go limo dark... too ricey looking. A nice light tint like a factory a/c car is plenty IMHO.

:)

thanks for the input i was thinking dark but maybe ill do a medium tint with a small to medium tint band on windshield, this car is ticket free and has been pulled over once because the cop thought my brother wasn't wearing a belt but no tickets, most of the police when they pull up next to me just do one of these :angry7: [-X

Personal opinion, i hate tint on old cars. Factory tint is fine, but blacked out, or even close looks way to far out of place.

Just in my opinion!

DodgeDart031-vi.jpg

Of course, the local mailbox artists may tint your windows for free in the color of their choice. :-D

Dude, this is New York. Any & ALL mail boxes are a blank canvas.

I'm grateful they leave the buildings alone.... :angry7:

Tint is great for the modern cars but i wouldn't do it on my dart. You have to be careful though i have had tint on all my cars (except the dart) and never got hassled by the cops until about 6 months ago i have gotten pulled over twice now and got a ticket once (last week) and its not even a fix it ticket.

Im in So Cal though and I do not know how they are up in Canada

Dude, this is New York. Any & ALL mail boxes are a blank canvas.

I'm grateful they leave the buildings alone.... :angry7:

I'm just messing with ya', no offense intended. I used to live in Chicago and it just brought back memories. 8) I couldn't keep my alley garage door clean for anything. I'd rather have them tag the boxes.

Back to the subject at hand, I like a lighter tint but generally the cops don't give anyone too hard of a time with darker tints although limo tint would be borderline. The sun here can be like a freaking laser beam and chews up an interior fast. When I had an apartment, the sun ate the gauges, seat and handlebar grips of my Ducati in about two months of parking it without a cover.

If I didn't live in the southwest, I'd probably go without the tint.

I think Redfish wanted to see a pic... sorry for the night time photo of the tint. I know there are some pics somewhere on here of my car in the day light.

P2190027 (Small).JPG

-
Back