Window trim

-

mormanman

Reaction score
I have heard they make a tool to remove window trim but i don't think "they" know what i'm talking about.
I need to get the chrome off the gutter rails and i haven't the slightest idea how to. Any help would be appreciated.
Also is it the same for every car or is it car specific. I have a 65 cuda and am also working on a 68 cougar.
Thanks

There is a tool for rmoving window trim. It's designed to seperate the clip from the
molding. Some times they can be a real pain . On removing drip and other moldings
I use a paint stick and a hammer. The key is patience. Any thing metal can distort
or scratch the molding if you slip. Lee

There is a tool for rmoving window trim. It's designed to seperate the clip from the
molding. Some times they can be a real pain . On removing drip and other moldings
I use a paint stick and a hammer. The key is patience. Any thing metal can distort
or scratch the molding if you slip. Lee

Where do you place the paint stick to get them off? Can someone post pictures of the clips on the back of the different molding so that I and others can better understand how they go in? I personally have never seen the back side :). It probably wont matter for mine however, it appears that the last person who removed the molding on my car didn't take the time to figure out how to do it right, and now they appear to be glued on. Im pretty sure there has to be a couple clips left though.

I have an old bottle opener, the "church key" kind with 1 triangular pointed end for opening cans and 1 rounded end removing bottle caps. I wrappped the inner edges of the round end with electrical tape to protect the molding. Use it by slipping it over the top of the mldg with the prong underneath and pry upward while working along it lengthwise. Take your time. It works great and doesn't damage the mldg.

I tried both methods the church key and the paint stick and I like the paint stick more it worked better for me but idk if i was doing it wrong but it bent the trim a little like not creases but made it bow out if that makes sense. Do you know why this is and is there a way to prevent it or am i just not doing it right or does it just happen?

I've never had much trouble remobing the drip rail trim. If there is a vinyl top there may be some adhesive underneath. I've got a small 90 degree pic that I'll drag along under the trim. .Once the first 2 inches then 2 feet have moved a little it'll twist/roll right off.

-
Back