Windshield installation

-

LarryB340

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a windshield or back window in a 1969 Dart or similar vehicle? My windshield had a bullet hole in it and back window shattered when I bought the car. I have a new windshield and used back glass, and new gaskets. Just wondering if it's something I should try myself or if it is better left to a professional. Of course there is no one that will do it as a mobile service. Saf-lite repair, Saf-lite replace, unless you own a 69 dart.

Quite a few related threads here. Various DIY methods, what sealant to use, and more. I can't say what search term to use.
My input.. I've used the rope trick to put flat rear windows in pickup truck cabs ( like that pick above ) many times, but the rope trick just doesn't work for me at curved glass.
Anyway... Search, read, develop a plan, get a good helper.

Quite a few related threads here. Various DIY methods, what sealant to use, and more. I can't say what search term to use.
My input.. I've used the rope trick to put flat rear windows in pickup truck cabs ( like that pick above ) many times, but the rope trick just doesn't work for me at curved glass.
Anyway... Search, read, develop a plan, get a good helper.
The key to using the rope method with curved glass is to have an assistant pushing from the other side. I have done many curved windows (for example the rear glass in my 69 Barracuda fastback) and it was pretty easy with an assistant.

You can work the glass/gasket in with these and some patience, I've done it many times.
Available from C.R. Laurence or a nearby auto glass place can get them, probably amazon too.

CRL216_5740.gif

My brother does it all t h e time, flat, curved, old seals and new ones.

He goes slow, warm day, has no issues! Darts and Dusters!

Here's my front glass. Cinnamon 75 Duster \
Ideal install method will vary if gasket has filler cord or not. I did my back glass (with cord)using plastic sticks similar to front. Did another on a 74 Dart with no cord insert using rope method.

Rope is like a lawnmower starter cord. About as thick as the glass. Soap helps lube. Watch a few videos. Take your time.

-
Back