windshield please help

-

pupjoint

pupjoint
Reaction score
Had a new windshield installed, in 74 duster with new seal. Windshield leaks around bottom about 6" from each corner, my question is does the o-ring go in the groove all the way around the windshield. The installer said that it didn't and cut it off about 6'' from each corner at bottom and that's where water comes in. Took the car back and they say it is a body seam leak,I say he's just didn't want took lick his calf over.
THANKS IN ADVANCE PUP JOINT

Had a new windshield installed, in 74 duster with new seal. Windshield leaks around bottom about 6" from each corner, my question is does the o-ring go in the groove all the way around the windshield. The installer said that it didn't and cut it off about 6'' from each corner at bottom and that's where water comes in. Took the car back and they say it is a body seam leak,I say he's just didn't want took lick his calf over.
THANKS IN ADVANCE PUP JOINT
all the ones I have seen or put in the locking ring goes all the way around and should meet in the middle on the bottom............Artie

Nothing should have been cut. All the seals I have seen have locked together perfectly. Also, I hope you have applied sealer to both the lip and the groove of the gasket where the glass fits. It is really a messy job if done correctly. I had to teach the glass guy how to do it on an older A-body. See the following link...http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0305_how_to_install_a_windshield/
windshield1.jpg

Well I still have the rest of the o-ring but my next question is can the windshield be removed without damaging the seal.

I'd be calling them back a.s.a.p. to come fix it or return the money so you can get a real glass guy out there

Thanks for all the help. got in touch with the glass place and after loosing my cool and then apologizing. I will be taking my car back. but he says if it is a body issue it is on me, if it is a installation error it is on them. Well myself I dont see it being no body issue. what his men is saying is it is a seam leak. Now got to wait on his phone call to bring the car in

the only way it could be a 'body issue' is if there are big holes around the outside of the gasket...and that would be pretty obvious lol.
Otherwise, in my opinion, it's all up to the glass installer to keep it from leaking (whether it's between the body and the gasket, or the gasket and the glass).

...but, yeah, the lockstrip should go all the way around. I know from working in a glass shop that lock strips can be hard to install in corners, where the flex of the rubber makes it tight. But that doesn't mean that you skip large sections:banghead:

What do you mean by "o-ring" the lock strip or the gasket?

Nothing should have been cut. Unless for some reason there gasket was to big and they narrowed it down which is a big "no no" or they had the wrong gasket in the first place. We have seen this happen more than once. The new gasket is the correct one for the car and windshield BUT the gasket is to big. We went through 3 gaskets on a Chevy truck until we got one that was the correct size. The others was to large.

At 6 inches from the corners it could be the vent box to cowl seals. The lock cord does go around the corners though.

No I personally ordered the gasket for the car and carried it to the glass shop. the installer told me that it did not go all the way around the windshield. I new better so now I am butting heads with the installer because the seal is leaking. It is not the cowl I got in the car and had my pour water on the windshield and I could see where it was coming in under the seal. Across the bottom of my windshield from driver to passenger side they did not install the o-ring or locking ring in the groove.

No I personally ordered the gasket for the car and carried it to the glass shop. the installer told me that it did not go all the way around the windshield. I new better so now I am butting heads with the installer because the seal is leaking. It is not the cowl I got in the car and had my pour water on the windshield and I could see where it was coming in under the seal. Across the bottom of my windshield from driver to passenger side they did not install the o-ring or locking ring in the groove.

Would this picture help if there are enough details?

Attachments

• 74_Valiant_Duster_0003.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 196
  • mx1069.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 196

When he said "that it did not go all the way around the windshield" that's where he should have stopped and not even attempt it. Why not? Thousands of old A-bodys have it all the way around the windshield!!!!!

Sounds like a bunch of monkeys trying to screw a football.

Well to give a heads up it was safelite auto glass that installed the glass. I tried to tell the dude that was doing the installation that the ring went all the way around, but he thought he new it all now they gotta lick the calf over.

And if they give you any grief, take a quart of water with you and show them your little experiment.

yep: I appreciate all of the replies. I have the extra piece of o-ring in the car when I take it back for the manager to see, M ay get nasty but I hope he does what is right and not try to put the screws to his fellow american.
Will keep all my A-BODY friends posted on the out come. Once again thanks for all the replies. PUP JOINT

I just had mine done on my 74 Duster. I was present when the installer did it. He never did an old car like this and was nervous even after doing this business for 16 years. He was great attitude and took his time I helped him a little and once the glass was out he saw how it was to go on and he ran a bead of sealant on the bottom. He actually gave me some tmie to inspect it for any rust issues I was surprised as to how clean is was except for a few small areas which he let me clean up and throw some paint/sealer down before the gasket went on. We placed the gasket in the frame first and then manage to massage the glass into place. I will say not a drop on my floor since the day is was put in am I very happy! He was glad to finally do an old car. So if anyone in Eastern PA needs someone with some experience let me know, I do not have his number off hand his card is at home on my workbench.

Well to give a heads up it was safelite auto glass that installed the glass. I tried to tell the dude that was doing the installation that the ring went all the way around, but he thought he new it all now they gotta lick the calf over.

Safelite takes people off the street, sits them down, shows them a video and then puts them on the road installing glass. Another thing is Safelite has installers that come out to install the glass. They also have another crew that comes in behind the installers to fix scratches on the paint, leaks, broken cowls, etc... They also don't take the time to remove the cowl on late model cars and they slide the glass down into the cowl area. When they do that it pushes the urethane down into the cowl area and leaves a air gap (leak). I have seen this more than once. When we do a windshield we remove the wipers and cowl and seat the glass straight downward in order to get a proper seal at the bottom of the windshield. Another thing they do is once the old windshield is out they don't scrap off the old urethane but just run the new urethane over the old. What happens there is the windshield does not seat properly and could very well start to leak. Also they only send one man out to do a windshield in which we send two people. I can say that if that one man can seat a big Ford F150 windshield without having issues then he is damn good. I have a friend that had his windshield replaced by Safelite in his Ford F150. I looked at his dash and there was a big glob of urethane just plain as day dried up on his dash. If I did something like that at my job I would have got my arse chewed out! Safelite cuts every corner they can to save a dollar instead of taking time to do it right and do a nice clean install.

-
Back