Windshield sealing? lock strip

-

MADMarc

Just a d00d
Reaction score
Ooookay, I got the front and rear weatherstripping for my 70 Swinger, as well as lock strips for each end, but how do these strips go on? The guy that did the glass install wasn't sure what to do with them and now I still have leaks when it rains...grr...makes me feel like either 1) I got jipped, but he's always done great work in the past or 2) I need to figure out how to get these locking strips in there.

He did say that when I put the trim back on I will need to add a little sealant under where the trim goes, but I have never heard of this being done and don't want to do it unless given a go ahead. I'm really hoping these lock strips are what I'm missing....help...please? :prayer:

There is a gap around the face of the seal for the strip. It does press the seal some, but not sure how good it's gonna work if sealant sets up before you get the strip in.

Well I am watching to see if you have and answer! I had the same thing with my 74. Brand new seals and I still got water too.

What sealants did he use? If he didn't know what to do with the strips, I wonder what else he did or didn't do. These seals are much different than 'modern' installs that are glued in place

Thanks for the input. He didn't use any sealant to install the weatherstripping, and since I asked him to not toss on the trim because I want to polish it up, he didn't use any sealant for where the trim goes, either. He did mention that he could plug in the sealant for me, but it would make putting the trim on a bit more of a pain.

Also, the gap mentioned, is that the gap that the lip of the weatherstripping goes under as well? Here is a picture of the gap mentioned from another thread:

attachment.php

I should also add that I'm at just about the same spot as the picture above. New clips are in, I can see that bit of metal underneath the weatherstripping, but don't want to go any further if I end up needing to back track. If a sealant is necessary under the trim, what sealant is recommended? Or...what type of sealant?

That is my car you pictured... That picture is the center part where the flap tucks in. The round cord pushes in the gap at either side of that and up the sides and across the top.

Hmm...sorry if I am making you repeat yourself, but the lock strip goes in the gap that ties in with the gap pictured, but it runs from each end of the bottom, up the sides and to the other bottom end - thus not going into the spot where the lip is tucked in?

What are you guys talking about a "lock strip?" You ARE working on a 70, right?

Unless you have the wrong gasket, only a 67 uses a lock strip. I will admit, the shop manuals are a "little vague" on glass. I guess they figure the body guys just imagined how to do it, LOL

The bad news is it needs to come back off and be sealed. The good new is it will be easy since there is no sealer. Can't find now, but lots of good threads on ways to do install.

I have a 70 and it had a lock strip in the seal when I removed it. Based on the condition I am pretty certain it was factory. The lock strip is places into the grove of the seal and expands it so it seals, you do NOT want to put sealer on these, just put some soap onto the lock strip and push it into the seal, the window should seal up just fine as long as it was clean under it when installed. The lock strip is pretty critical in holding the window in place so it is important to put it in. It should go all the way around the window to expand the seal for correct fit.

I will try the lock strip first, since it doesn't involve adding sealant or removing the glass hahah

Just to confirm, though (and assuming this were model correct) it would go in the same groove as the one that the lip tucks into as seen in the photo?

My original Demon had no lock strip when I removed the windshield...... back glass does have a lock strip.

Correct. the rubber cord 'lock strip' starts where the flap ends.

My seal is from Dantes, and is listed same for 70-76 Duster, Demon, Dart Sport. I believe they list the regular Dart seal as from 68-76. Mine has the round rubber lockstrip, and was identical to what I took out (and believe to be original)
I'm no expert, just did my own (75 Duster) recently after reading a lot of threads on here. I have seen a few posts of people saying they did not use sealer and it worked. All I can say is if it works your a lot luckier than me. My old one was sealed both to the glass and the metal. I used the rope caulk in the groove to seal the metal and 3m windoweld urethane to the glass. I still had leaks under the rubber to the shelf where it sits. I ended up re-doing it with a tube of butyl (NAPA) for the bottom. I layed a heavy bead down and let it squeeze out. Then cleaned up excess so it won't interfere when I put the trim back on. Made a big mess, but it is sealed now (I actually still have a very small leak, but 99% sure it is a wiper).

Hmm...sorry if I am making you repeat yourself, but the lock strip goes in the gap that ties in with the gap pictured, but it runs from each end of the bottom, up the sides and to the other bottom end - thus not going into the spot where the lip is tucked in?

here is where the round rubber locking seal goes. The gasket should have been a zipper over locking folding type, but I have seen a lot lately made this way?

Here is the tool [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Windshield-Locking-Strip/dp/B000COA1CQ"]Lisle 47000 Windshield Locking Strip Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 399
That is the center section that has the flap tucked in. Here is the start of the lock strip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 440
Pictures are perfect. Thanks a bunch for clarifying. Besides its obvious name, what is the purpose of that strip? I can understand some extra pressure being applied to where it seats against the body and glass... Is that it?

IIRC, the gasket is installed in the window opening, the glass is installed in the gasket, and the lockstrip wedges the glass into the gasket. Last time I did it, I used wet water (a windex bottle full of water with 3 drops of soap added), an acrylic ice scraper to push the lock strip in, and a hair dryer to soften the gasket. I used some black rubber sealant to help hold the gasket in place a well as form a bit of a water barrier.

I'm going to replace the windshield in the Demon this spring, so I'll be able to refresh my mind on the process.

dengit...just got back from a trip and went out to look at the glass. Rear weatherstripping is completely different from the front, and the front, though slightly different than the pics above, still has that slit. I will fiddle fart with getting the lock strip into the front stripping, but what about there rear?

Front on my car:

Rear (yea, so it's a little dirty...primer doesn't really ever look classy :p):

-
Back