Winter changes on the AMX. Are you going to make any changes on your race car?

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to combine a few different things. Please bear with me.
1. Going to install a vacuum pump.
2. Going to install a oil accumulator.
3. Going to put stiffer springs on front and re valve the front coil overs.
4. I got a really good deal on a new set of 14.5 X 32 X 15 Phoenix radial slicks.
5. Going to put some Phoenix front runners on.

Does anyone have experience with the Phoenix radial slicks?

new slicks for next year, that's about it.

what's the reason for putting on vacuum pump? just curious that's all.

new slicks for next year, that's about it.

what's the reason for putting on vacuum pump? just curious that's all.
I went to alcohol carburetor and trying to keep moisture and condensation to a minimum. They also say that you can pick up a little hp with one. I guess that I'll see about that.

Can I please see the AMX? I have a soft spot for AMC cars :)

FB_IMG_1699412864750.jpg

20230415_104632.jpg

20220916_183137.jpg

Resized_IMG_3037001.jpeg

20210227_105703.jpg

I went to alcohol carburetor and trying to keep moisture and condensation to a minimum. They also say that you can pick up a little hp with one. I guess that I'll see about that.
Only thing I can think of is I switch to gas on the return road and get engine hot to burn off the moisture.
I run a toilet and I don’t have any moisture or condensation. After every pass I take the breathers out of the valve covers to let it breathe. Empty the puke tank.

Last edited:
I'm going to combine a few different things. Please bear with me.
1. Going to install a vacuum pump.
2. Going to install a oil accumulator.
3. Going to put stiffer springs on front and re valve the front coil overs.
4. I got a really good deal on a new set of 14.5 X 32 X 15 Phoenix radial slicks.
5. Going to put some Phoenix front runners on.

Does anyone have experience with the Phoenix radial slicks?
Phoenix radials are very good tires. Are you switching from a bias ply to a radial? Or do you already run a radial?

I'm stepping up from a Viking Warrior to a Crusader rear shock with much more travel. I think my current shocks may be topping out. I'll have a little fab work into making the new ones fit but it should be worth it. That AMX is sweet!

Cool Car !!! I am not doing much .. I did enough last year : between a hurt then redone with a stroker kit motor and breaking a driveshaft resulting in a new one ! For next year : just new rotors and brakes on the rear , put the 4.30s back in that the yoke got damaged on when the driveshaft broke , and I am looking at stainless headers but they aren't cheap and hard to find for W2 heads.

Phoenix radials are very good tires. Are you switching from a bias ply to a radial? Or do you already run a radial?
I've been using M/T pro braket radial slicks 14x32.

Does finishing a shell and making a race car count because that's my winter goal/ change

Only changes for me this winter is probably switch from 112 octane to e85. $4 a gallon versus $14 a gallon is the reason.... lol

Winter updates for me is PRH is spec'ing a new cam that is a touch different. New exhaust system. New fuel system. Doing another intake manifold. Hoping to get it on Dwaynes dyno to try a couple things and do the cam swap on the dyno. A couple issues popped up with the suspension that I want to try to iron out. Would love to get the 60' down into the 1.4's. I can't believe it's December already.

Going to re-wire the Arrow. Got a kit from K&R which is going to simplify the wiring by a lot. Thought of going to a single carb set up but have decided to stay with the tunnel ram/dual carb setup. Going to re-locate the transmission cooler and ad a fan to it. New set of Hoosier slicks and that will do it. Pic is of my old 401 powered 68 AMX that I ran from the late 70s to 1995. Currently sitting in a trailer in the Tamworth, New Hampshire and in not to bad shape if anyone is interested.

AMX.jpg

Going to re-wire the Arrow. Got a kit from K&R which is going to simplify the wiring by a lot. Thought of going to a single carb set up but have decided to stay with the tunnel ram/dual carb setup. Going to re-locate the transmission cooler and ad a fan to it. New set of Hoosier slicks and that will do it. Pic is of my old 401 powered 68 AMX that I ran from the late 70s to 1995. Currently sitting in a trailer in the Tamworth, New Hampshire and in not to bad shape if anyone is interested.

View attachment 1716174117
Definitely interested in the AMX. Please message me the details.

Thanks, Bill

I have a stock bore 340 at the machine shop going .030 over and have a Scat forged 416 kit going in. I'll use my Trick Flow heads and intake and the 850 carb. I have 4:56 gears now and also have 3:91's if the 4:56 are too steep for 1/4 mile. The build will end up at 10.4/1 so should be fine on 93 octane. I'm going to have Bullet grind a solid cam. The 904 trans with MVB and the Ultimate 9 1/2 inch converter with 5200 stall should move it out quite nicely

Only changes for me this winter is probably switch from 112 octane to e85. $4 a gallon versus $14 a gallon is the reason.... lol
Are you buying a new carb or having yours redone? Or keeping it for a spare

Are you buying a new carb or having yours redone? Or keeping it for a spare
I’m stilling thinking about it. Got a couple of quotes for a new carb. If I decide to do it, I’ll go with a new carb so I would have both setups to run at anytime.

-
Back