Wiper arm question/ Pass window question

-

Wilson_

Reaction score
I have a few questions,

I took apart the dash trying to figure out why the wipers were only moving half way and found that some one moved the arms around.

I need the clips? and what else
IMG_20110604_235706.jpg

Second question is. when rolling the pass side front window down the entire assembly (ie; wing window, everything) moves down and kind of rocks back.

I took the door panel off and found no loose bolts on the regulator, or missing ones I could see.

I will get some pics tomorrow.

Thanks!

I got those nylon grommets for mine off the "Help" wall at a local auto store for $2.49 for both of them.
Exact fit parts and worked perfect.
They are kind of a b***h to get on though.
I used a 7/16 socket and a vise to press them into the arm, and a pair of vise grips to press the arm on to the pivots.
The vise grips worked well because I could tighten them a little more each time it went on a little more until they were seated.
Hint: Put a little grease inside those grommets before you put them on, and try to polish those studs with steel wool before assembly.
Believe me, it'll make your life a lot easier and grommets will last a lot longer.

I have a few questions,

I took apart the dash trying to figure out why the wipers were only moving half way and found that some one moved the arms around.

I need the clips? and what else
IMG_20110604_235706.jpg

Second question is. when rolling the pass side front window down the entire assembly (ie; wing window, everything) moves down and kind of rocks back.

I took the door panel off and found no loose bolts on the regulator, or missing ones I could see.

I will get some pics tomorrow.

Thanks!

Helps a lot to know what you're working on
Not all year models use the same ball sockets on the wiper linkage.
From 1300 BC through 1967 had bronze bushings with clips, 68 through ? ( 72 I think ) had black plastic bushings and a few clips.

I got those nylon grommets for mine off the "Help" wall at a local auto store for $2.49 for both of them.
Exact fit parts and worked perfect.
They are kind of a b***h to get on though.
I used a 7/16 socket and a vise to press them into the arm, and a pair of vise grips to press the arm on to the pivots.
The vise grips worked well because I could tighten them a little more each time it went on a little more until they were seated.
Hint: Put a little grease inside those grommets before you put them on, and try to polish those studs with steel wool before assembly.
Believe me, it'll make your life a lot easier and grommets will last a lot longer.

Thanks

Helps a lot to know what you're working on
Not all year models use the same ball sockets on the wiper linkage.
From 1300 BC through 1967 had bronze bushings with clips, 68 through ? ( 72 I think ) had black plastic bushings and a few clips.

1300 bc...HAHAHAH

Its a 1972 Dart Swinger

X 2 on the wiper arm linkage grommets. There are three that need to be replaced (1 ea. wiper arm, 1 for wiper motor connection). You'll get a much quieter full sweep of the blade after repair. I used a socket and a pair of Channel lock pliers to squeeze the grommet into the space in arm and to squeeze the grommet onto the wiper arms.

It sounds like the vent window assembly was stuffed into the door without any attaching hardware. The bottom nut on your vent window support is loose or missing as well as having a loose connection for the stud at the front of the support. If you can find a parts manual, see page 23-6 for an exploded diagram. Right now, the assembly is pivoting around the end of the vent window "whiskers".

X 2 on the wiper arm linkage grommets. There are three that need to be replaced (1 ea. wiper arm, 1 for wiper motor connection). You'll get a much quieter full sweep of the blade after repair. I used a socket and a pair of Channel lock pliers to squeeze the grommet into the space in arm and to squeeze the grommet onto the wiper arms.

It sounds like the vent window assembly was stuffed into the door without any attaching hardware. The bottom nut on your vent window support is loose or missing as well as having a loose connection for the stud at the front of the support. If you can find a parts manual, see page 23-6 for an exploded diagram. Right now, the assembly is pivoting around the end of the vent window "whiskers".

I will swing by in a bit to see if i can find anything at the store for the wipers.

When I took the door panel off and peeked inside there is a stud on the bottom of the door that the window assembly "rides" on and moves up and down. I will snap some pics later tonight.

Thanks

cool, I got the bushings! dorman part # 49440

here are some pics and two vids on the door situation
Pic
IMG_20110606_125405.jpg

Videos

Thanks for all the help!

alright guys thanks for all the help.

I finished the wiper arm bushings, I ended up removing all the linkages and doing all of them outside of the car (much easier). The trick is install the bushings in the arms first then onto the nub. and lots of grease, and they work nice and quite and a full sweep!

so on to the pass side window. I found a hidden bolt on the front edge of the door under a hard plastic/ rubber piece. I tried adjusting that and nothing changed..

Any Ideas?

-
Back