Wiper blade joke

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
The joke it's they are charging up to $35 for a single 26" blade! Or you can go economy for 7.99...or Uber cheap and get the blade refill for 3 bucks and manage to slower the new rubber into the old arm. I pulled out the blade cut down the 26" where it was still good (the blade tore off the spine at the last 8 inches) and refilled the rear wiper arm with the cut blade, worked. New fronts worked great but I had to buy the whole bracket for both sides.

Whenever I ask for refills, they go out to the isle and bring back the whole frikkin blade. I have to educate them every single time.

I usually get them at Costco, normally around $13.00 each, but sometimes they are on sale for $10.00, any size from 15" to 26".
Once in a while Rock Auto has a good sale on them, but unless I'm already ordering other parts the shipping costs are not worth it.

I have not seen rubber refills for some time.

I get my blade at thrift stores for between $2 and $5.

I've got about ten 22"-24" and more than that of 18"-20".

Why TF didn't they just leave them alone with a single assembly of rubber and metal guides?.

...and why TF did they change the width, so you can't put new refills in old blades?

Why TF didn't they just leave them alone with a single assembly of rubber and metal guides?.

...and why TF did they change the width, so you can't put new refills in old blades?
Designed obsolescence

Blades have been a POS since I remember. In the '70's FJ-40 Landcruisers, early Broncos, and some old Jeeps used the small hook blade. Anco dropped them, and even though Anco was our major line, Dad ordered in a few Trico numbers to fill in the gaps--including the missing Anco ones. So one day TWO reps showed up "for Anco" and I gouged them about it. It was the bla bla bla. I told them, (this was winter) --you go to lunch and you LOOK and you COUNT the number of old Jeeps, Broncos, and Landcruisers, and then come back here and tell me we don't need them

Designed obsolescence

Took 'em long enough.

You'd think they'd want to move product.

Some older cars can't use newer blades.

All the newer style blades I've tried don't clear the hood on my Satellite.

All the newer style blades I've tried don't clear the hood on my Satellite.

Well, there's your problem, your using them wrong
When installed properly they clear the windshield, not the hood

kevin-drums.gif

I have not seen rubber refills for some time.

I get my blade at thrift stores for between $2 and $5.

I've got about ten 22"-24" and more than that of 18"-20".

Nobody stocks them. You have to order um. I have a stock pile now. LOL

I stocked up on them at a good deal from.Rockauto.
Wix oil and air filters too. Just about any small parts when on close out I grab.

I stocked up on them at a good deal from.Rockauto.
Wix oil and air filters too. Just about any small parts when on close out I grab.
It's a smart idea as parts for these cars are getting harder and harder to find.

Nobody stocks them. You have to order um. I have a stock pile now. LOL
Yepper and I have guys who show up wanting my good old parts as store is out. But want to replace with new Mexico and China crap.
I got old Standard brand Coils. Napa, Standard, Neihoff, Mopar, etc old Caps/Roturs,
Pick Ups/ reluctors
Still got little over a 80 Wix oil filters ( and over a hundred private labeled Wix /Car Quest) in short, med and long. They fit many Chevy, FORD and Mopar engines.
When Adavance Auto bought out Car Quest they sold all the stock off.
I sadly am down to 20 cases combined of Shell Oil branded 10w-30, 10w40 and 20w50.
It was $0.59 a quart to sell it off so a,remodel could be done.
And the Transmission was under a dollar lime $0.89 only got 75-80 quarts left.
The NAPA Standard stuff was less than half marked. But to tell the truth worth twice what new China, Mexico stud cost to me.
I would pay a premium for good old vs new junk, so I know I don't have a problem later.
The old Bendix and Raybestos rotors, drums, pads, shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders just sit there and are not eatting food! But do say USA on the boxes may never get used by me, as well as other things.
But bet my wife can sell the stuff off I never needed when I die easy enough.
I hate new parts quality when I need to get them. At least some new stuff is still good for now
My wife likes that she has a, small amount of air filters, stack of cabin air filters, oil, and other fuilds she can just grab right there for her daily driver Honda and do it herself.
Everyone else she knows has to run and get anything as they have NOTHING.

But that's how many live today.

20221005_100343.jpg

20221005_161949.jpg

Last edited:
Yepper and I have guys who show up wanting my good old parts as store is out. But want to replace with new Mexico and China crap.
I got old Standard brand Coils. Napa, Standard, Neihoff, Mopar, etc old Caps/Roturs,
Pick Ups/ reluctors
Still got little over a 80 Wix oil filters ( and over a hundred private labeled Wix /Car Quest) in short, med and long. They fit many Chevy, FORD and Mopar engines.
When Adavance Auto bought out Car Quest they sold all the stock off.
I sadly am down to 20 cases combined of Shell Oil branded 10w-30, 10w40 and 20w50.
It was $0.59 a quart to sell it off so a,remodel could be done.
And the Transmission was under a dollar lime $0.89 only got 75-80 quarts left.
The NAPA Standard stuff was less than half marked. But to tell the truth worth twice what new China, Mexico stud cost to me.
I would pay a premium for good old vs new junk, so I know I don't have a problem later.
The old Bendix and Raybestos rotors, drums, pads, shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders just sit there and are not eatting food! But do say USA on the boxes may never get used by me, as well as other things.
But bet my wife can sell the stuff off I never needed when I die easy enough.
I hate new parts quality when I need to get them.

View attachment 1716036898

View attachment 1716036900
Smart boy. I'm trying to do the same with slant 6 stuff. Talk about a niche of a niche market. It's tough doing it on a fixed limited income like social security, but I'm gainin on it. lol

Smart boy. I'm trying to do the same with slant 6 stuff. Talk about a niche of a niche market. It's tough doing it on a fixed limited income like social security, but I'm gainin on it. lol
Might sound silly but stock at Rock Auto varies as they are a closing house. So have new junk, new name brand, new old stock from closed out places.
Some of the old close out stock stuff is cheap.
Check every now and then fur old close outs of old as hell parts cheap.

Might sound silly but stock at Rock Auto varies as they are a closing house. So have new junk, new name brand, new old stock from closed out places.
Some of the old close out stock stuff is cheap.
Check every now and then fur old close outs of old as hell parts cheap.
Closing house? You mean going out of business? Who'da thunk it?

Closing house? You mean going out of business? Who'da thunk it?
Rockauto is not going out. But sources from new cheapo junk, new good name brand and places that go out that have old stock.
So sometimes has stuff that has sat on a shelf a very, very long time that they have untill out. It is marked closeout.
I normally look when getting other not related things. Say i need newer car rotors pads. I get them in basket. But bring up old car and do a look see. Never know what may be on closeout. Last time i grabbed 8-9 Fel-Pro vavle cover gaskets cheap. Boxes were dirty and old but inside were soft and like new.
I try a look see before any order is final to see what else.

Last edited:
Rockauto is not going out. But sources from new cheapo junk, new good name brand and places that go out that have old stock.

I normally look when getting other not related things. Say i need newer car rotors pads. I get them in basket. But bring up old car and do a look see. Never know what may be on closeout. Last time i grabbed 8-9 Fel-Pro vavle cover gaskets cheap. Boxes were dirty and old but inside were soft and like new.
Thing about it too, the tried and true cork ones are what works best on the slant 6.

Fram was always good back in the day but their quality has gone right down the shitter.
Cut a new oil filter open and you'll find rust on some of the metal parts and a real cheap filter paper.
I've been using NAPA for a number of years now.
I certainly don't use Canadian Tire ( or should I call it China Tire now) stuff and haven't for many a year.
They'll go out of business waiting for me to buy their junk, batteries especially

I bought a case of rear brake shoes when I first bought my Satellite.

...and here's the rub when doing that-

I sure do wonder where I put them.

I do exactly the same thing, got some really good buys over the years.

-
Back