Wiper knob loose

-

oldjunk

Reaction score
Anyone know how to properly attach the wiper knob to the switch shaft on a '72 a-body? Mine just sits on the shaft with nothing to hold it on. You can literally just pull it off. My headlight switch is securely attached (same knob). I'm guessing it originally came with some sort of clip? Thanks.

Don't know about 72. My 67 actually has a set screw

The headlight switch knob DOES NOT come off the shaft. When removing the light switch, you must release the SHAFT and knob together by releasing the little button on the switch:

Typical:

WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg

Look at the knob. It has a place where a tiny piece of bowed spring tempered steel would slide into it. You aren't the first to loose the little rascal either.
3 options...
Make one from some other fastener using a dremel grinder.
Dill and tap the knob at the stem flat for set screw.
Buy a earlier knob that includes a set screw.

Thanks for the advice. I managed to wedge a small piece of flat metal (male electric connector) in the slot...worked great. Makes me feel better knowing it just wont fall off.

Look at the knob. It has a place where a tiny piece of bowed spring tempered steel would slide into it. You aren't the first to loose the little rascal either.
3 options...
Make one from some other fastener using a dremel grinder.
Dill and tap the knob at the stem flat for set screw.
Buy a earlier knob that includes a set screw.
I'm looking for new knobs for my 74 swinger and I just keep finding stuff for 66-69 only screw on type. I would like to get the wiper and ligh knobs replaced any ideas

I'm looking for new knobs for my 74 swinger and I just keep finding stuff for 66-69 only screw on type. I would like to get the wiper and ligh knobs replaced any ideas
For what its worth.., all headlight switch knobs are process bonded to the stem so they don't pull off in normal use. Knob isn't replaced separately.

For what its worth.., all headlight switch knobs are process bonded to the stem so they don't pull off in normal use. Knob isn't replaced separately.
Thank you so modification is what I must do. Thank you for the reply

-
Back