Wiper Linkage-Another Repair, Another Headache smh Someone help!!

-

1969_Valiant

Reaction score
Well my wipers got slower and slower until they completely stopped. Thought it was the motor. Upon helping me put a new one in, my mechanic friend said my passenger side linkage is all seized up. I'm spraying and tapping on it, but it won't free up. Is there anyway to get this going without removing the entire dash? I thought maybe this would be a quick, easy fix. It seems like every simple job is jamming me on this thing and I'm starting to lose it. Someone please help if you can. Once again, thanks for the advice, knowledge and insight.

It is all removable by laying upside down across front seat linkage is connected to motor with a metal clip and to each other with nylon/plastic bushings that just press together. You can remove the linkage to see it it is actually bound up or if it is the wiper pivot (the piece that connects the linkage to the wiper arms. If it is the pivot they bolt on from under the dash and can be removed wohout removing the dash.

Nice! I appreciate the quick responses. You guys are awesome. Unfortunately it's 6:10pm and my friend is about to leave his shop. I'll bring it back tomorrow(assuming he has the time to check it out) and hopefully we can get it all right. I'll let you know how things work out. Crossed fingers............

If the passengers side pivot post is fecked you can bet the farm that the drivers side is severely worn too. It's the one that catches all the labor and subsequent wear. Motor drives the left pivot first, left pivot in turn drives the right pivot.
Pivot assembly is about 3 inches long. There's a bronze bushing in each end only 1/2 long. between the 2 bushings is a cavity where a lot of crusty from a rusting shaft accumulates. These assemblies are far too much trouble to take apart for proper rebuild ( been there done that ). No vendor offers new shafts for them.
Knowing that a half assed service will lead to continued noisy operation and repeated problems with failing bushings,
I would pull the instrument panel and whatever else necessary to remove and replace both pivot assemblies with good used ( hopefully from a dry climate car ).
Do the aftermarket reseal kits w/grease fittings on the newer ones. Be done with it for years to come.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to try and take care of it this week. We'll see how things go........... Happy new year to everyone.

I had a siezed right pivot. Pulled it out of the car, sprayed it down with PB blaster and gotit moving again. I also drilled and tapped the pivots for grease fittings. They move like a charm now. Its not hard to do at all.

-
Back