wiper linkage nylon bushings questions revisited

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

I cannot find my original thread on this one. However i pulled my wiper linkage out of the loft to start on it. Turns out my 67 uses pressed in bronse bushings, and a round spring clip combination washer thing.

Theres felt washers on either side of the bushings i presume to be soaked in oil to lubricate the bushings and quiet the linkage while its in operation.

I feel this is a better setup than the snap together plastic bushings from 73 up. This is just another example of the later cars getting cheaper. A plastic snap in bushing is cheaper than a pressed in bronse bushing, felt washers, and clips, plus its less labor to assemble on the line.

Now for the question. Where can i get these felt washers for my linkages to redo them?

I also have the kit to redo the wiper arm pivots and add zerk fittings to them.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Piece of felt, pair of scissors. The only replacement part I could not find was the tiny spring washers on the pivot posts.
you probably wouldn't need those.

I'm doing wipers on my son's Valiant, and am looking for good advice also...

Does anybody repop the plastic clips for the later style linkages?

So, when did they go from the bronse bushings on the linkages to the black plastic clips?

My 67 has the bronse bushings.

The ones in the help section are made of cheap plastic and suck bawlz. I've never had a set last two years and noticed the Dakota's were rattling a few days ago after just one year.

I'm tempted to make a weekend disappear and make some bronze ones.

I just ordered the wiper seal kit from Mancini racing on Monday just before they closed, and the parts showed up today before 11 AM!!!

WOO-HOO!!! Way to go Mancini!!!! :cheers:

A day and a half turnover to my front door.... :D

I took my linkage out of my 74 two years ago. Does anyone have a pic the plastic bushings so I can go look for them?

I took my linkage out of my 74 two years ago. Does anyone have a pic the plastic bushings so I can go look for them?

Here ya go.
They have them on ebay, just searched 1974 Dodge Dart wiper bushings.

Attachments

• wiperbushings.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 162
u can still get them from the dealer
dont buy the after markets they are junk

u can still get them from the dealer
dont buy the after markets they are junk

The aftermarket ones I got have been in there for two years now without a single problem, but then I guess some aftermarket stuff could be better than others.
I got them at Autozone on the wall.

I installed the ones from napa 4 years ago and they are still fine

The ones in the help section are made of cheap plastic and suck bawlz. I've never had a set last two years and noticed the Dakota's were rattling a few days ago after just one year.

I'm tempted to make a weekend disappear and make some bronze ones.

Just get the ones from mopar

I ordered a 6 piece set from ebay,description said they fit my 74 dart,but they are too small to go on the studs

It’s a tight fit so it will take effort. It’s best to put it on the stud first before slipping the top of it on the top rod. Also try heating up the bushing so it’s a little more pliable. I replaced one of mine a couple of years ago and it was not a 2 minute job.

I am using 67 only linkages and pivots on my sons 69 barracuda. This is a 1 year setup with bronse bushings with oil soaked felt washers, and metal clips to hold it together.

I am using 67 only linkages and pivots on my sons 69 barracuda. This is a 1 year setup with bronse bushings with oil soaked felt washers, and metal clips to hold it together.
Its not exactly 67 only. This all metal assembly ended in 67. Plastic bushing are less expense to produce and replace. Whether they operate quieter or not,, I dont know. I know the felt washers would wear away eventually. A metal to metal noise might appear there.
We don't really know if the felt was oiled before install or if it simply wicked up oil from a oilite bushing over time.

Seems like the bronse bushing arms was a better idea then the bean counters got ahold of it. The 68 up was less parts, less expensive to manufacture assembly. The only reason this was done was cost savings. When a new car design comes out, from day 1 the bean counters are all about trying to save a buck while your charged more every year.

The average joe in 1968 up buying an A body brand new would have no idea about the wiper linkage change, nor would they even care. As long as you turn that switch and they come on and work, that's all that mattered. Will it get the car out of the warranty period without failure? If it does, that's all that mattered.

They didnt change them to that plastic nylon clip because it was better, they did it because it was cheaper. No bushings you have fit into a jig to braze into the arms, felt washers, metal clips, then greasing and assembling. With the 68 up it's a cheaper produced nylon bushing, they stamp the arms out, snap together with plastic bushings that's the bearing surface and retainer all in one. Faster assembly, less parts, less labor equals more profit.

I have a 67 notchback and a 69 notchback. A lot of the yearly minor changes were all about saving a buck.

Just a few for your thoughts. The 68 up glovebox hinge is cheaper to produce making that 67 glovebox and hinges a1 year deal. Ditto for the ignition switch bezel. 67 was chromed die cast, with a backing plate and 2 screws holding it together, but for 69 it's 1 piece of cheap piece of textured plastic held in with the switch nut. 67 notchback coupes had a stainless window ledge moulding 4 pieces. 69 coupes no window ledge moulding. No holes stamped either. 69 fastback still had this I believe. Theres other stuff that doesnt readily come to mind at the moment. Dont get me started on the RH fender only pentastar but that was a fight between the beanies and marketing. Marketing wanted it on both sides. Bean counters said no its too expensive. The compromise was marketing could have the pentastar, but only on the curb side.

Last edited:
Matt. Find anything you'ld recommend?

I'm looking at McMaster's selection. From what I gather from one of the felt websites, it should be a high wool content and between F1 - and F7 (firm) for oil wick or grease. Not ordering until I measure the dimensions.

-
Back