Wiper linkage questions 67-9 cuda

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a couple bundles of random wiper linkages, as well as the drive bracket from the motor. 1st 2 on the left I believe are 68/9. One on the right is 67. Can anyone tell me if drive brackets are 2spd or variable? Also can the bracket be interchanged between 67 and 9 cuda? The bushings in the 68/9 setup are black, while the 67 is white.
Pics coming.
Thanks
Steve

20191020_183159.jpg

20191020_184055.jpg

20191020_184113.jpg

Cant help you on that, but while digging through my parts boxes I keep seeing a black plastic bushing and wonder WTF is that for. Now I know. Thanks Steve.

Rummaging thru these I thought the spring clip washer was 67 only. Obviously not lol.
I think black vs white was different speeds??
Cant help you on that, but while digging through my parts boxes I keep seeing a black plastic bushing and wonder WTF is that for. Now I know. Thanks Steve.

First what I know. 67 was the last year for all bronze bushings in the linkage ( except for pitman arm bushing they are all plastic ). 68 and 9 have black plastic bushings in the linkage.
Now about the pitman arm bushings and what I think I know. A basic 2 speed motor has its output shaft centered. The black bushing there are also centered.
A 3 speed motor has its output shaft offset. So rather than produce 2 different pitman arms and/or linkages to correct wiper throw/travel they produced a offset bushing.
Take one of black and the white apart and prove me right or wrong.

Those black and white nylon bushings are for 2 speed setups. 67 V speed crank arm was a totally different animal. Not sure about 68-69 V speed.

Thanks guys, heres pics, I took the drive end(pitman arm?)off. The setup I had ziptied together with felt washers and spring clips throughout is the one with the white bushing. Its hole is oriented differently compared to the black ones? Also on the drive bracket for white one the motor mount hole is larger and its oriented differently as well.
First what I know. 67 was the last year for all bronze bushings in the linkage ( except for pitman arm bushing they are all plastic ). 68 and 9 have black plastic bushings in the linkage.
Now about the pitman arm bushings and what I think I know. A basic 2 speed motor has its output shaft centered. The black bushing there are also centered.
A 3 speed motor has its output shaft offset. So rather than produce 2 different pitman arms and/or linkages to correct wiper throw/travel they produced a offset bushing.

Those black and white nylon bushings are for 2 speed setups. 67 V speed crank arm was a totally different animal. Not sure about 68-69 V speed.

20191020_212541.jpg

20191020_212556.jpg

20191020_212602.jpg

20191020_213339.jpg

Several different crank arms. Depending on V speed with leece neville motor, prestolite motor,. Or 2 speed

Lots of different part numbers for the arms too. Why didnt they just make one crank arm, and tell all the wiper motor manufacturers to make their wiper motor shaft to 1 dimension. Woulda made it simpler if ya ask me.

Just sifting thru parts manuals, looks like the 3 crank arms I got are 2spds. White bushing is 67 2 spd.
I need #2822272

I understand completely. The arms can be confusing since they are different. I have the setup for my 67 w prestolite V speed. Now since sonny's car was a half stripped cadaver, I am trying to put in a 2 speed setup. I dont have a part number for the correct arm. Not sure the one I have is even correct.

I got a variable motor, so I better check to see I got variable arms....oh my lord.
I'll check tomorrow, thanks!
I understand completely. The arms can be confusing since they are different. I have the setup for my 67 w prestolite V speed. Now since sonny's car was a half stripped cadaver, I am trying to put in a 2 speed setup. I dont have a part number for the correct arm. Not sure the one I have is even correct.

OK, The oval hole in the firewall is fixed position. Where the motors shaft is positioned in that hole does change with mfgr and type. Mismatched linkage parts would try to pull apart or jamb the linkage.
They didn't or couldn't dictate that all power steering pump mfgrs make those all the same either. Cost? Patents? Who knows? They simply produced brackets, pulleys, etc.., for each pump mfgr/type.

And that's why I am trying to figure out the arm I need for the 2 speed setup on my sons 69 notch. I think it's the same arm from at least 68-72

I have an extra 67 linkage and pivots I would like to use in my sons 69 since the bronse bushings seem like a better idea once cleaned and greased. If i can make them work with a 69 2 speed and crank arm which i think i can, then all the better. I have a bunch of different arms. Now that i am thinking about it, i prob shouldn't let any of that go until i am sure of what i need.

LOL, what a clusterf**k. From what I see and what I have the white bushing is for 67. Our 67 cuda is in storage right now, so I will dig thru my pics/threads on here to see what the bushing that is in it looks like. Be nice to have for reference.
What I was hoping to achieve with this thread was to ID a complete setup for my 69 cuda with variable speed and elec washer. I knew motors and bushings and the motor crank arm were different, but now the arms too?? Ill check the arms I have here to see if there are any numbers on them.
Lord almighty....
Thanks guys!
OK, The oval hole in the firewall is fixed position. Where the motors shaft is positioned in that hole does change with mfgr and type. Mismatched linkage parts would try to pull apart or jamb the linkage.
They didn't or couldn't dictate that all power steering pump mfgrs make those all the same either. Cost? Patents? Who knows? They simply produced brackets, pulleys, etc.., for each pump mfgr/type.

And that's why I am trying to figure out the arm I need for the 2 speed setup on my sons 69 notch. I think it's the same arm from at least 68-72

I have an extra 67 linkage and pivots I would like to use in my sons 69 since the bronse bushings seem like a better idea once cleaned and greased. If i can make them work with a 69 2 speed and crank arm which i think i can, then all the better. I have a bunch of different arms. Now that i am thinking about it, i prob shouldn't let any of that go until i am sure of what i need.

In 68 they went to those plastic snap bushings to hold the linkages to the pivots. I think that was to save money on assembly over brazing bronse bushings to the arms.

Steve, Heres pix of what's out of my sons car. 69 barracuda. Not sure it was ever pulled apart, motor was gone when I got the car, as was one pivot. I got another replacement wiper arm pivot to make it complete. It came with really crunchy motor compartment wiring that was wired for a 2 speed. There was a green splotch of paint on the crank arm. I dunno if that was an assembly line identifier or not.

20191021_080944.jpg

20191021_081055.jpg

20191021_081122.jpg

-
Back