Wiper linkage questions 67-9 cuda

-
LOL, what a clusterf**k. From what I see and what I have the white bushing is for 67. Our 67 cuda is in storage right now, so I will dig thru my pics/threads on here to see what the bushing that is in it looks like. Be nice to have for reference.
What I was hoping to achieve with this thread was to ID a complete setup for my 69 cuda with variable speed and elec washer. I knew motors and bushings and the motor crank arm were different, but now the arms too?? Ill check the arms I have here to see if there are any numbers on them.
Lord almighty....
Thanks guys!
I don't think any of the transmission arms are different other than what type bushings, black plastic or bronze. Pitman arms and that bushing?... You see that you have 1 of 1 type and 2 of the other.
If you recall a earlier thread, I posted a pic and part number of my 67 vert variable 3 speed wiper motor that was different from the others shown in that thread. I didn't pic the motors shaft side, nor that pitman arm and bushing. If my memory serves... It a white multi part bushing. A wire clip inside it holds its plastic parts together. My memory sux but didn't you have that same bushing in your 67? Testing your memory now. LOL Many moons have passed.
To add more pics of my 67 vert parts may further complicate things.
So what you do know thus far... The 69 wiper transmissions should have black plastic bushing. Remaining question is which type motor you'll install and which pitman arm with bushing matches it.

Heres the 67 prestolite Vspeed crank arm that came with the 67 Vspeed I got from a barracuda in the junkyard. Not sure how correct it is but it was on there

20191021_081841.jpg

20191021_081847.jpg

20191021_081917.jpg

Here ya go. This arm is off my sons restored 2 speed motor. Stamped right from the factory lol. BTW I have a few spare 67 prestolite V speed arms. Was gonna restore a second one to keep as a spare for my car.

20191021_082751.jpg

20191021_082438.jpg

I'm watching this. I will be getting to this soon, have some wiper parts . One 68 motor and arms with pivots and some other arms with seized pivots from 67 I think but not sure.

PN# 2889966 is for a corporate 2 speed.
PN# 2770116 Is for a V speed, and will fit Leece Neville and Prestolite motor shafts. I just checked it on both.

Look closely, The rectangle holes on the crank arms only allow them to fit on the motor shaft in one position/orientation.

The 67 2 speed setup I believe used either the Leece Neville or Prestolite V speed motor, and what made it a 2 speed was simy a wiper switch that had 3 detents off, low, high, and a big resistor on the back of the switch to slow the motor down to low speed.

68 up 2 speed setup the switch still had 3 detents in it, but the resistor for low speed was now mounted on the motor (corporate) 2 speed.

This is like a rabbit hole LOL. Thanks all for replies. So like Ben was saying, your pic of the 67 with the spring confirms it Matt. Totally different bushing when comparing Vspeed and 2 spd for 67. 2770116 would PROBABLY be correct for 67(havent confirmed # in manual), as my crank arm #2770163 with white bushing is listed in 67 manual for 2 spd.
I found #2857936 stamped on one linkage arm, manual shows it as "link wiper drive" for VBL, which i understand, BUT underneath it, it states P,D,C,Y and shows different numbers for 2spd and 3spd. B=barracuda, BUT does the numbers for P,D,C,Y override the Barracuda part number? Looking at manual may help while reading my jibberish. 69 parts manual, section 23-67-79, page #23-104, pdf page #1125.
Thanks guys.....wow

Yep, confusing. PN# 2889966 is likely correct for 68-up corporate 2 speed motor. It was the arm that was on my sons 69 linkage. I bought a restored A body 2 speed motor that had the same PN# arm on it.

Steve I hope all my quick n dirty research helps you out. I am assuming the 2770116 will work on 68 and 69 prestolite V speed since it will fit those shafts. In my prestolite box I have a date coded 67, and a date coded 69 prestolite motor. Shafts are the same on both. 2770116 will prob work on the 67 2 speed as well, since what makes a 67 a 2 speed or V speed is the type of switch in the dash and not the wiper motor. Vspeed switch has 2 detents. Off, and on/thermostat. 2 speed has 3 detents off, low, high and has a resistor on the switch. Both switches plug in the harness the same.

68 and 69 both V speed and 2 speed switch plug in the same in the dash, but sub harness under the hood is different. V Speed plugs right into firewall bulkhead, 2 speed has a small sub harness plugging into the motor, and the mounted on motor low speed resistor.

Last edited:
Matt, it does help. Can you post motor #'s? I've got a a 2893116 I bought(with wires clipped) that I was hoping to use for a 69 Vspeed application. It's the same one i posted above with 2spd crank arm attached(black bushing).
I'll check all my other arms later in Hope's of finding more numbers.
Thanks all.

Matt, it does help. Can you post motor #'s? I've got a a 2893116 I bought(with wires clipped) that I was hoping to use for a 69 Vspeed application. It's the same one i posted above with 2spd crank arm attached(black bushing).
I'll check all my other arms later in Hope's of finding more numbers.
Thanks all.

Maybe Matt (the other, not me LOL) can help us figure out the different motors used.
We started to put together a list while figuring out the wiring for a member.
Wiper Motor Wires

And if its of any help -next time I'm at the garage I can look underneath and take pics of the linkage.
This would be linkage for the white faced 2-speed motor with 2 speed switch.

Model year 1967 Wiper motors, switch, wires to connector.
2822 930: Variable speed. Green, Red, Blue, Brown at connector (Redfish)
2770 137?: Variable speed with variable speed switch; 3 wires atconnector (4spdragtop)
2822 962 : Variable speed ? with variable speed switch; 3 wires at connector (xtremist)
2822 962 : Variable speed with two speed switch; Red, Blue, Brown at connector (Cuda Al)
2822 963 : 2 speed, white switch plate, 2 speed switch; Red, Blue, Brown at connector. (Mattax, Cuda Al)

The 2822 963 (which seems to be a 2 speed motor in sprite of claims otherwise) is in my car, which if I'm interpreting the scheduled build date correctly, it was December 16.
And if I'm interpreting the wiper motor stamp correct, 3326 = Nov 28, 1966. So this was a standard equiped car, built in 66.
Mentioning this just in case the build date relates to what a car got.

FWIW my 69 variable speed had the thin wavy washer and the steel clip. I do not remember any black or white nylon clip. I sourced another wiper motor from a later model car, thinking I could switch it out, and found that the shaft diameter was smaller where it keyed into the wiper linkage.

That wavy washer and clip would have been from linkage arm to pivot I believe. All my setups have those. There still has to be a bushing from crank arm to linkage.
FWIW my 69 variable speed had the thin wavy washer and the steel clip. I do not remember any black or white nylon clip. I sourced another wiper motor from a later model car, thinking I could switch it out, and found that the shaft diameter was smaller where it keyed into the wiper linkage.

Forgot about this thread. Yesterday I noticed a couple of the felt washers could use replacing on my '67.
This linkage that goes with motor 2822 963 (2 speed, white switch plate, 2 speed switch)
has 2770194 and 5? stamped on it.
upload_2020-6-16_17-59-42.png

upload_2020-6-16_18-4-1.png

edit. According to the assembly drawings, those are the 1967 wiper pivot part numbers. Same for all A-bodies. Not the same as 68-9.
It also shows two "drive links and cranks":
2771968 2 speed
2771928 var speed

I'll try to remember to get a better pic of the motor arm and see if I can read any numbers.
upload_2020-6-16_18-2-47.png

Adding a better pic.
upload_2020-6-17_16-39-3.png

Last edited:
Link arm is stamped 9770 989.
FWIW the parts book says all a-bodies get that link regardless of motor. OK. Maybe.

Link arm is stamped 9770 989.
FWIW the parts book says all a-bodies get that link regardless of motor. OK. Maybe.
There are 2 different motor shaft sizes and 2 different pitman arms out there. I don't know if they were all the same at one time of not.

3 different motors.
Leece Neville through 67
Prestolite through I believe at least 74
Corporate 2 speed from 1978 up

My fault. With repsect to the link I was only referring to '67.
Saw this
upload_2020-6-20_13-26-4.png

and looked in the '67 parts book (revision printed Jan 1968 )
upload_2020-6-20_13-29-29.png

upload_2020-6-20_13-32-55.png

So it seems like the above linkage parts are the same for 67 moodel year regardless of motor.
I don't fully trust the parts book on the wiper info because we've identified what? Four motors - switch setups on '67s?

here's what this parts book lists
upload_2020-6-20_13-37-4.png

Then here these drive linkage parts are different:
upload_2020-6-20_13-37-37.png

upload_2020-6-20_13-38-33.png

Illus.
upload_2020-6-20_13-43-35.png

Don't know what "Gear and Gasket pkg" refers to. Maybe its a replacement package including motor and pitman, or maybe an internal parts??

Last edited:
-
Back