Wiper Motor have 3 sp switch with 2 pd motor

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
As the title indicates, I have put in a 2 speed wiper motor because that is all that was available. I think the existing switch must be 3 speed.

When I turn the wipers off the blades will not home properly. When I installed blades to the current home position and then turn on the wipers, the blades go down slightly and then the motor gets stuck.

I really do not want to buy a new 2 speed switch until I am certain that is the problem. Can a 3 speed switch be used on a 2 speed motor? If it can than I am looking for at the wrong answer.

Does this make sense to anyone else but me?

Ed--- 71 Duster 318V :banghead:

Even I don't fully understand the quicksand that "is" Mopar wiper motors. All I can tell you is look through some of the service manuals. You may be able to get it to operate but not park, etc.

So far as I know you need to match the switch to the motor.

If the motor stops at the correct position the blades wouldn't move downward at switch on, they would move upward. This park at bottom of stroke is adjusted by rotating the stop cam mounted on the outside of the gear box. Hash marks stamped or cast ( I forget ) . Its a sensitive adjustment too.
Everything you want to know about the various wiper systems is in a factory service manual but its all quite complicated.

I bought a 3 speed wiper motor from I think rockauto.com. Look up a 1976 duster. There are 2 different ones. Get the cheaper one. All you need to do is splice the wires to the connector. The more expensive motor -I believe- is the same way. My motor was going out but I found out that it was my switch that was bad, It wasn't "parking" the wiper arms. The "park" brass connector on the back of the switch was broke off. Check yours. May be the same thing happening.

Thanks all, It sounds like I have skipped a bunch of steps installing and adjusting the wiper motor. I will work on that next.
Although I am having a problem understanding why I am bothering as I doubt I will drive it in the rain.

Frankly, if you have a good motor now, I'd put out a want for the right switch.

-
Back