wiper motor park intermitent

-

jim in seattle

Reaction score
69 Barracuda variable speed wipers. Sometimes (5% of the time), the park feature works. Most of the time, when I turn the wipers off they stop right away- so I have to time it so that they are not in my vision. Other times, when they have been off for a while ( a minute to a day) they will swipe once and then 'park' correctly.

Ideas? Where do I look for the fix? Is this most likely in the switch or in the motor?

So far as I know, all wiper motors get "park" via a 12v hot lead to the motor, which goes through and internal switch in the motor. Either the motor is not getting the 12V "hot" wire, or the internal park switch is bad.

What is your motor, 2, 3 speed?

So far as I know, all wiper motors get "park" via a 12v hot lead to the motor, which goes through and internal switch in the motor. Either the motor is not getting the 12V "hot" wire, or the internal park switch is bad.

What is your motor, 2, 3 speed?
i don't know. it doesn't seem to have specific speeds. this may be the switch but it seems like it is infinitely adjustable. as i turn it counterclockwise the wipers speed up with no detente feel. how can i identify what i have?

make sure the ground is well grounded. should be a strap from the motor to ground...firewall

stole a pic from the 'net
906GroundStrapImage.jpg

I have supplemented this with an additional ground and it usually solves the problem

That's the variable-speed setup you have, which is the earlier version of what later became the 3-speed system. These variable or 3-speed systems have a complicated parking mechanism in which turning the switch to "off" sends reverse-polarity current to the motor, causing it to run backwards, which declutches a one-way clutch spring inside an eccentric nylon cam between the motor crank arm and the wiper transmission bar. This cam rotates, shortening (because it is eccentric) the overall linkage length, pulling the wiper arms down all the way to the bottom of the glass. Once they reach this position, a park switch mounted on the wiper motor driven gear and its cover plate break the circuit to the motor which stops turning until the driver switches it on again.

The 1-speed (early) or 2-speed (late) setup simply carries on when the driver switches it off until the wipers reach the bottom of their normal sweep, then they stop. There's no swivelling cam or one-way clutch spring or anything.

Sounds like you're not reliably getting that reverse-polarity current to your motor when you switch it off, either because your switch is faulty or because there's a break or point of high resistance (corrosion) in the wire. The park switch in the motor could also be stuck or faulty, and yes, wiper motor and switch must be very well grounded or stuff doesn't work right.

The park switch is on top of the gearbox. You'll notice it can be rotated under the retaining screws so mark it's current position before removing.
Cleaning the contacts,etc.., in there should cure it.
Please note; the motor pictured above is a different animal and has common electrical wires. Yours has single strand leads under asbestos sleeves. Be careful with those. They can become very brittle with heat and age.

-
Back