Wiper motor wiring help

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
Looking around under the hood today and I notice one of the wires coming out of the wiper motor going to the other part is coroded, insulation falling off and there's only 1 strand of wire left making the connection. Did a search and couldn't find anything about taking the motor apart. Is there a way I can open it up and replace the wires coming out of it. Or do I have to find a replacement? 74 swinger 3 speed wiper Thanks

I'm sure you could probably fix it, given the patience and the time. If you can't Rock Auto has then pretty reasonable.

So no one has opened up the motor housing on a wiper motor? Think I'll have to hit the junkyard today and see if I can get it replaced. It' a dd so the wipers have to work. I can experiment with it later.

So no one has opened up the motor housing on a wiper motor? Think I'll have to hit the junkyard today and see if I can get it replaced. It' a dd so the wipers have to work. I can experiment with it later.

Yes, I did mine.
Opened it up and replaced the wires right at the windings where they go from plastic coated to insulated.
It was super easy, as long as you keep track of any wire color changes for when you hook it back up.
Of course the brushes are a little bit fun to get back over the armature when putting it back together, but that was probably the hardest part of the whole thing.

I wouldn't open it up and have brushes fall out. The insulation looks OK right next to the motor in your photo. I think solder and heat shrink would work fine, assuming those wires coming out are copper. Otherwise, you need to crimp like it appears the factory did. Even easier would be to wrap each one with self-fusing silicone electrical tape. Rub off the friable braided insulation first. Might also try "Liquid Tape", but less secure.

Those are resistor wires that create the different speeds. Each wire has a different resistance. Thats why they are a single stand with special insulation. Unless there is a problem I wouldn't disturb them in any way.

After closer inspection it does appear that it is just one thin wire. I thought it was a (braid?) and just one piece was left. The insulation is just crumbling so i'll try to wrap it in self fusing tape. the wire is just so thin I don't want to break it.

-
Back