Wiper pivots

-

76Scamp

Reaction score
Does anyone know any where that I can buy new wiper pivots? I know I can get the bushings from any part store, but I'm looking for the pivot itself that bolts to the cowl that has the wiper arm on it. The ones on my car not only leak, but have finally frozen up and no longer move.

Not sure about new ones, but I scored a pair a nice used ones for my Duster by listing it in the Wanted forum. Think it took about 8 minutes for an awesome FABO member to help me out.

Pat

I've been able to get them unfrozen. I leave them in a container of mineral spirits or rust remover. Then work them every couple of days. I think drill and install a grease zerk fitting.

I've been able to get many sets free using this method.

Riddler

The drivers side pivot in my 67 was completely worn out ( Seattle car ) so I completely rebuilt both.
Only new parts available are the bronze bushings inside the pot metal housings.
I had to rob a good steel shaft from later model passengers side pivot ( that one is never so worn ). Not a job for the novice. Bridgeport milling machine, reamers, etc.. are required.
I actually considered adding this to the services I offered. Then later I went into my 73 Valiant pivots and found much less wear. I discovered that in many cases simply rotating the housings 180 degrees would get a much less worn bushing surface against the wear area of the shafts. I can't say how many years of improved movement are generated by this repositioning. I can say she never tossed another nylon linkage bushing. Smooth quiet wiper operation in both cars. Sooooo,
When I get the opportunity to suggest marking the housings before removal so they can be rotated 180 degrees at reinstall, good enough.

-
Back