Wiper system

-

Dart swinger 73

Reaction score
First time ever working on a Mopar.:banghead: I could use some HELP please. I have 73 Dart Swinger. A lot of work has been done already. The wiper motor was shot. Wires were striped so I pulled it off and found that nothing was connected to the motor. The linkage arms weren't connected just laying in the dash.:banghead: Not even connected to the wiper arms.:banghead: I got a new wiper motor new seals and rubber for wiper arms. My problem is. I don't know if they are the right ones for the Dart. One has a slight bend at one end. Dose the motor turn in a 360* a 180* or 90* I haven't a clue. :scratch: I will wait for a reply before I put power to the motor.

The motor runs like any 360 degrees round and round. The linkage is what causes the pivots to move only 180 or half rotation. You probably do have the correct linkage but you may need a service manual to put it together right. Last thing you want is for a wiper arm to head down across the hood.
Good luck with it

Thanks for the quick reply. Don't have the wiper arms on yet, for that reason. I havn't connected the motor linkage arm yet. It's will turn free it's not connected to the wiper. I have the service manual. The picture is printed backwards. The left is right and the right is left. You confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for the help. Tomorrow I will put power to the motor.

I have a 73 Swinger also, so if you get stuck I can help.

You have nylon ball sockets at the pivot points. I suggest you view other threads about installing those.
Working under the dash to replace them allows only a clamping force like C-clamps.
On the workbench the same method works or a hammer and knocker is an option.

You have nylon ball sockets at the pivot points. I suggest you view other threads about installing those.
Working under the dash to replace them allows only a clamping force like C-clamps.
On the workbench the same method works or a hammer and knocker is an option.

I installed them with a socket and a hammer "2 pounder" :cheers:

I tried connecting the wiper switch to the wiring harness to see if I could just turn the wiper motor to see what direction it went. Clockwise or counter clockwise. nothing happened. I noticed when I removed the instrument cluster it had a hot and ground wire connect plus a couple of plugs. Do I have to install the instrument clusterd just to see if the wipers work. :scratch:

If there is power at the the plug for the switch with the cluster out it should run without it.

If the red and black wires for the ALT' gauge are not connected together, nothing inside the cabin will have power. No you don't need to reinstall the panel but those 2 wires need to be connected and the body of the wiper switch will need to be grounded to the chassis.

-
Back